Pour 1 ½ cups water into the pan below the rack. TheWoksofLife.com is written and produced for informational purposes only. For light coloring, use red fermented tofu + some of the juice in the bottom(I know lots of you may do not like the taste of fermented tofu. Make authentic Chinatown char siu at home with our restaurant-quality recipe! Hi Wendy, you’re welcome and glad you are enjoying homemade char siu! I was really amazed at how little marinade was required. BUT you can ALSO make many more delicious recipes! #swissr, Playing with the #webergoanywhere at #stjohnspoint. Turn the pan 180 degrees to ensure even roasting. *, Super Sunday weather, such weather calls for slow cooked beef ribs from @MeatMerchantMoi @MeatPeter 3 hours smoked with hickory on the @Monolith_Kamado rubbed with @AngusandOink the general, wrapped in foil for two hours then kissed with some @BelfastBBQ smokin Yankee bbq sauce, There are no reviews for this recipe yet, use a form below to write your review, Genius Campfire Paninis with Fire Roasted Red Pepper, Campfire Chorizo, Peppers and Rice. Hi Jessica, the roasting time will depend on the thickness and fat content. Serve it on a board with cocktail sticks stuck in. Roast another 15 minutes. To make char siu, pork is marinated in a sweet BBQ sauce and then roasted. Char siu, or Chinese BBQ Pork, is a delicious Cantonese roast meat. Growing up in the Catskills, the first time I saw this Chinese BBQ pork, or char siu, was at the Holiday Inn of all places.. My father, the hotel restaurant’s head chef at the time, used a closely guarded recipe of Chinese sauces, lots of garlic, and spices to make his classic char siu. Combine the sugar, salt, Chinese five spice powder, white pepper, sesame oil, wine, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, molasses, food coloring (if using), and garlic in a bowl to make the marinade (i.e. After 25 minutes, flip the pork. Old favourites! In my parent’s restaurant, we had a large standing roasting oven the size of a narrow refrigerator, where the pork could hang from these large S-shaped hooks over a pan of water to roast evenly at very high temperatures and get some good color and flavor. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours. After the amount of time you’ll have spent on this recipe, I hope you enjoy it. 图片和文字未经授权,禁止转载和使用。, red fermented tofu with 1/2 tablespoon of the sauce. Remove from the oven and baste with the last bit of reserved BBQ sauce. While we first posted this recipe on The Woks of Life years ago (February 2014 to be exact), we’ve re-tested and made a few tweaks to the recipe that I’m sure he’d approve of! My father, the hotel restaurant’s head chef at the time, used a closely guarded recipe of Chinese sauces, lots of garlic, and spices to make his classic char siu. By now, the pork has cooked for 50 minutes total. Roast again on middle track for another 10 minutes. Set aside. the BBQ sauce). Char siu (叉烧) is a type of Cantonese roast meat. ) It is featured not only by the yummy taste but also the light red color.In Chinese Char Siu is 叉烧 meaning roasted pork on certain of fork. Oh no. We're rendering all of the fat to hopefully only leaving tender, meaty chunks without the fatty flavour that can sometimes put people off pork belly. Then bring it out to the BBQ for the glazing stage. He grew up in upstate New York, working through high school and college in restaurants with his father, a chef. Cut the pork into long strips or chunks about 3 inches thick. Pour the Char Siu sauce in. If it’s not caramelized to your liking, you can turn the broiler on for a couple minutes to crisp the outside and add some color/flavor. Now get your Glazed Chinese Pork Belly back on the hot grill, it should smell delicious by now! * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Grill your Chinese Pork Belly slowly for around 1.5-2 hours. Once you master how to make char siu at home, you can enjoy it anytime fresh out of the oven without fighting traffic or crowds in Chinatown. Use this time to set your BBQ up for indirect cooking at about 140°C. By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. For middle coloring, use red yeast rice. Guests and diners have been patient but they’ll think you’re taking the Mick if you start slicing up chillies after a two-hour wait! Use Chinese BBQ pork in place of ham in our super easy banquet fried rice recipe, in our Classic Pork Fried Rice, our Chinese BBQ Pork Buns (steamed or baked), or Sarah’s Roast Pork Puffs. You can make a big batch, freeze any unused roast pork, and then take it out to make Pork Buns, Pork Fried Rice, and more. Don't let it dry out. Or alternatively, you can slow cook your BBQ Pork Belly in the oven. Using Chinese 5 Spice, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, you’ll be able to recreate those mouth-watering flavours on your own BBQ. A good char siu recipe has depth of flavor––a salty/sweet contrast with a hint of spice that compliments the pork and allows it to stand alone with just a simple mound of steamed rice and blanched choy sum. ChinaSichuanFood.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. It's amazing how oven temperatures vary so be sure to check your char siu after the first few minutes of roasting and adjust your oven temperature accordingly. Roast another 15 minutes. I suggest you check the meat every 10 to 15 minutes during roasting, and turn and baste often. #campfire #cam, Playing in the garden last night. By now, the pork has cooked for 50 minutes total. is its Cantonese name, but in Mandarin, it is known as. Cover and store the reserved marinade in the fridge as well. Tuck in! Bill is the dad of The Woks of Life family. It should be cooked through and caramelized on top. Now pour the glaze over the pork and continue to cook until the pork looks dark and sticky. Pour 1 ½ cups water into the pan below the rack. Don’t trim any excess fat, as it will render off and add flavor. Subscribe to our email list and be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube! Give a big stir-fry to combine well. Firstly poke some small holes on the pork butt so it can absorb the flavor better. Thank you!! Then slice it into chunks and add into a mixing bowl. Turn and baste often, and lower the oven temp if needed, and your char siu should be fine :). Before baking, add around 1/2 tablespoon of warm water and 1/2 tablespoon of char siu sauce with 1 tablespoon of honey. Let me know how you get on. Your email address will not be published. We’re Bill, Judy, Sarah, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes. Get the BBQ up to a high temperature, around 200-220°C. Various online calculators also provide different results, depending on their sources. Message the pork for couple of minutes and keep in fridge for 24 to 48 hours. WOW!!! "Char siu" literally means "fork roast" - "char" being "fork" (both noun and verb) and "siu" being "roast" - after the traditional cooking method for the dish: long strips of seasoned boneless Note: Prep time does not include overnight marinating time. https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to/chinese-cooking-tools/#meat-thermometer. Then cut into 2 cm wide and 4 cm thick long strips. Rub the pork with the rest of the marinade in a large bowl or baking dish. They mightn’t be as juicy though they should come back well. Growing up in the Catskills, the first time I saw this Chinese BBQ pork, or char siu, was at the Holiday Inn of all places. To simulate this at home, preheat your oven to the highest setting (475-550 degrees F or 250-290 degrees C) with a rack positioned in the upper third of the oven. Rub the pork with the rest of the marinade in a large bowl or baking dish. Cover and store the reserved marinade in the fridge as well. Please do not use only images without prior permission. Pork is one of the most prolific meats you’ll see at a BBQ and this Chinese-Style BBQ Pork Belly is a really tasty, interesting way of serving it up. You can also use a, Use Chinese BBQ pork in place of ham in our super easy, If you want to try this Chinese BBQ pork out on the grill, check out our recipe for, char siu, Chinese BBQ pork, Chinese cha siu, chinese roast pork, (select a piece with some good fat on it). Brush the honey water on both sides. With it's high sugar content it might burn quite easily. Over the years, the flavor of the char siu one could get in noodle shops and roast meat restaurants in Chinatowns around the world developed a signature sweetness. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Place on middle track and back for 10 minutes. This prevents any drippings from burning or smoking. Made a delicious, Crab and pea spaghetti. Line a sheet pan with foil and place a metal rack on top. If you don’t own a sheet pan and roasting rack, check out our Chinese Cooking tools page to find our more about the sheet pan and roasting rack we use in our kitchen. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); First, pat the pork belly with some clean kitchen roll to dry it off. Turn the pan 180 degrees to ensure even roasting. At this stage, keep an eye on it that glaze. WOW – so good, even better than the restaurant. Add 1 tbsp. This recipe turned out delicious! Transfer the pork to your preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes. You need to login or register to bookmark/favorite this content. While different cuts of pork can be used to make char siu, from lean boneless pork loin to fattier cuts, those fatty cuts like pork shoulder/pork butt really are best suited to making a tasty Chinese BBQ pork char siu. “I am proud to say that your genealogy has been the sole tutorial for my Asian-inspired culinary adventures for years; probably since you began.