Really, even the toughest vegetarian critic will like this stew… I made it as part of my meal prep with brown rice and asparagus. In Eritrea and Ethiopia, it’s a most beloved and important dish — a vital source of flavor and protein. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I tried it once doubling the cumin but prefer it as written. Add onion to the hot oil and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I was out of carrots so I substituted zucchini and it was great! I ate the whole dish by myself in two days. You can also reheat the stew in a saucepan until bubbling; add a little water, if needed, to prevent sticking. I used 2 cups of drained boiled chickpeas instead of canned as well as adding a zucchine and a couple of carrots cooking everything in my pressure cooker in 10 minutes. Set a large Dutch oven or similar pot over medium-low heat. Home → Recipes → Stew → Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free). I had to double the coconut milk just to make sure everything was coated. , dry or two-15 ounce cans chick peas, drained. Thank you for one of the few vegan recipes I’ve ever truly found satisfying! This was delicious! Shiro is a simple, silky ground chickpea stew that takes little time and effort to bring together. This was good. We will look forward to leftovers! Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened. This version, based on Ghennet Tesfamicael’s recipe published in “In Bibi’s Kitchen,” by Hawa Hassan with Julia Turshen, cleverly suggests replacing shiro powder with chickpea flour and a homemade blend of berbere spice. Thank you. I especially liked the tomato addition near the end for just a slight kick to the flavour. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes. I had it with garlic bread! Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is dark brown, 5 to 8 minutes. When I'm invited to a potluck, I easily double or triple this healthy vegetarian recipe to treat the crowd to an exotic dish of enticing, bold flavors. I skipped the first step and just added the spinach at the end and wilted it in the stew. I had frozen green zucchini slices that I added. 1 55+ Easy Dinner Recipes for Busy Weeknights Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. My husband adds hot sauce to his portion. I added some curry powder and cayenne and it tated a bit spicier. Here is some guidance from a registered dietitian on foods and drinks that may help you feel just a little bit better if you get sick with COVID-19. I added diced carrots to make it a vegetable and chickpea stew. EatingWell may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Hi, I’m Michelle, I’m the voice, content creator and photographer behind Healthier Steps. Very simple and tasted great! Serve the remaining half at once, or refrigerate for up to 3 days. So delicious! My husband and I like this recipe as written. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. When mixture boils, reduce heat to low, and whisk in chickpea flour. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Whisk well to combine, and transfer the mixture to an airtight jar. Preparation. Denise, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. But other than that I followed the recipe as it is. Place spinach (or other greens) in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 Tbsp. Add the garlic, cumin, thyme and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute. water and cover. Cover with water about 2 inches above chickpeas and bring to boil on medium heat. Prepare the shiro: Place the onion and garlic in a food processor, and pulse until very finely minced, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure even chopping. We will probably add more butternut squash next time. The spices complimented each other well! I added some hot pepper to it. Transfer to a colander to drain. Season chicken with salt; add to pot and cook, turning once, until browned, 8-10 minutes. It was pretty thick, not very soupy. Mix chickpeas, water, potato, 1 teaspoon cilantro, salt, and pepper into onion mixture; bring to a boil. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-moroccan-chickpea-stew freezer container; label and freeze for up to 1 month. All Right Reserved. Denise, I’m happy you enjoyed it and made it your own. I also added a bit of cayenne pepper for a little heat. Congrats! Packed with fiber-rich vegetables and chickpeas, this fragrant stew satisfies. Pour in chickpeas and tomatoes. Read more. Congrats! © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition I added some toasted naan on the side and it was so yummy. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, half-and-half, and coconut milk. It is low in fat, a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin B6, and iron. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. While stirring, slowly pour in 2 cups water in a thin stream to loosen the mixture. Shiro is a simple, silky ground chickpea stew that takes little time and effort to bring together In Eritrea and Ethiopia, it’s a most beloved and important dish — a vital source of flavor and protein In those countries, it’s made with widely available shiro powder, a mixture of ground chickpeas… Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour. So easy to prepare, fast, healthy and delicious. Mash some of the chickpeas, with the back of a fork to thicken the stew. Info. Prepare the spice mix: Place cinnamon, coriander, fenugreek, peppercorns, cardamom and allspice in a small heavy skillet set over medium heat. Delicious! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Simple and easy to put together this soup hits the spot on a cold evening. Info. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. This recipe is great and I’m so happy I found it but what can I do if my chickpeas are still very firm after 30 min? Thanks :). If you are using dried chickpeas, sort, wash and soak them overnight. Was a very tasty and simple dinner! Transfer the ground spices to a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl, and sift. I share vegan and gluten-free recipes because of past health issues. Stir to combine, then cover pot, and let aromatics cook gently while you prepare tomatoes. Very tasty, but will add some hot sauce next time. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Transfer the mixture to a clean coffee grinder, add the chiles and onion flakes, and grind to a fine powder (or use a mortar and pestle). Chickpeas, eggplant, onions, tomatoes, and lots of olive oil stew together to create a traditional Mediterranean meal for your family. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Nutrition Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Who says a meatless meal isn't filling? Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 8 minutes. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, Just Like Grandma Used to Make: Why We're Craving Grandma's Cooking Now More Than Ever, How to Make Those Viral Hot Chocolate Bombs at Home. Stir in bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil, and oregano. I’m happy you enjoyed. Subscribe now for full access. In those countries, it’s made with widely available shiro powder, a mixture of ground chickpeas, garlic, onion and spices. Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour. When the pot is warm, add oil, onion purée, 2 tablespoons berbere and a large pinch of salt. Add coriander; cook and stir for 20 seconds. While we are on the subject of comforting and hearty stews, check out my Vegan Jackfruit Stew,  Black Bean and Butternut Squash Stew which is also a huge hit! Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Opt out or, dried chiles de árbol, stemmed and seeded, tablespoons homemade or store-bought berbere spice mix, medium vine-ripened tomatoes (about 11 ounces), coarsely chopped. Regrind whatever large pieces remain in the sieve, and add them to the bowl with the ground spices. Spiced chickpeas are crisped in olive oil, then simmered in a garlicky coconut milk for an insanely creamy, basically-good-for-you Also decided I wanted a bit more umami flavor so I added some mushroom umami powder, the tiniest bit of soy sauce, and about 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast. You will just need to add extra vegetable broth and cook until softer. Check the seasoning, add cayenne pepper and extra salt and pepper as needed. 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed, or more to taste, 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided. Also sprinkled some grated pecorino on top. We served it over farro and like using the cilantro for color and taste. Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.