I was looking for a spin on regular moong dhal. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free. TIP! I followed other reviewers and just added minced garlic after the onions (6 cloves), used canned chickpeas and chicken broth. Curries can be varied endlessly by simply changing the spices used. I agree with a previous reviewer, it's the toppings! And so healthy too … served it with Cous cous as I’m not a rice lover … I made two huge batches of the curry as I cook and freeze food for the convenience … it freezes well and actually enhances the flavours since they develop even more after freezing! Lots of depth and flavor...not to mention its vegan. Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry that's creamy, sweet, savory, spicy, and pairs perfectly with rice. I also served basmati rice and naan bread with it (I mentioned the 3 teenage boys....). All those changes above created a not-so-golden color, but it was well worth the changes. This was great! Want to make this chickpea curry recipe in advance and freeze it for later? If you love this recipe, you might also want to check out my butternut squash curry. New! Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with this amazing curry: With chicken: If you want to add some meat to the dish, you can serve chicken on the side, or add diced cooked chicken to the finished curry. Photo by Alex Lau, Prop Styling by Megan Hedgpeth, Food Styling by Rebecca Jurkevich. Chickpeas. This chickpea and lentil curry is a satiating vegan dish with a tasty sauce and plenty of vegetarian protein. If you use canned lentils, you can omit the water as the lentils are already cooked. Not something I would call a curry – more of a stew with some mild spices – but considering how easy it was and so few ingredients, it really delivered. Still tasted great. The toppings really made it. This recipe is interesting but poor technique and some missing touches rob it of its full potent. That’s so great, Suzanne! Season with salt and pepper. 87 Best Vegan Recipes: Dinners, Desserts, and More for a Plant-Based Diet, 73 Savory Cooking Projects for People Who Just Can't Make Another Loaf of Bread, 91 Ways to Use Chickpeas for Dinner Tonight, Why You Need a Cooking Playlist Now More Than Ever, 49 Ways to Use the Lentils in Your Pantry. Your email address will not be published. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). I an not a big fan of raisins, and this was really enjoyable. Olive oil in Indian food? The chutney is the best part, the lentil dal on it's own leaves something to be desired. Heat up some oil in a pot on medium heat, and add chopped onions. Next time I will make 4X the amount of chutney as I don't have enough for the leftover stew. Add coconut milk and lentils to pot; season with more salt. Terms & Conditions. This is a question, not a review. Just delicious! I LOVE healthy curry recipes! I doubled the amount of chutney for the second day. The seasoning in this dish can be substituted with your favorite curry powder. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). This was pretty good though I don't think I would make it again. Agree that the chutney needs to be at least tripled. Spices, like cumin powder, turmeric, garlic, and ginger, Crushed red pepper (adjust for spicy level). Yes. Top it off with basil for the perfect, easy, healthy dinner recipe! Privacy Policy Enter your email address and get our our free 5-day Nutrition Plan download jam packed with all that you’ll need to try out a week of eating healthy. Also, I roughly chopped the vegetables then used an immersion blender at the end. Delicious. Masoor tadka dal is a delicious Indian lentil curry made with red lentils. Top it off with basil for the perfect, easy, healthy dinner recipe! It was truly beautiful. This was so easy and super tasty. I also used canned chickpeas. Reluctantly have been attempting meatless recipes recently….. this changed my whole outlook on this idea! I made double the chutney, which gave a really nice contrasting element of freshness--probably should have gone for triple. This chickpea and lentil curry is incredible… I was instantly addicted. This post may contain affiliate links. Healthy recipes, 4-week nutrition plan, grocery lists, and weekly workouts! Add in the coconut milk, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and agave. The BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry. Let the stew sit for a full 12 hours to let all the flavors really meld together, though this step is totally optional. My husband loved it. The dal is vegan but full of hearty protein thanks to the chickpeas, lentils, and coconut milk. Serve the chickpea lentil curry warm over rice or with your favorite side dishes. Excellent, creamy, subtle flavors. For this recipe you will need canned chickpeas, canned diced tomatoes and dry red lentils. However, feel free to sub garlic powder and dried onion for fresh at anytime. Jump to:Ingredients Make twice as much as called for--you'll want to keep spooning it on. Frequently asked questions Is this correct? "It's amazing that this meal is vegetarian and vegan, it's so good," were words I uttered as I ate this dish. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! Delicious & super easy. Variations This recipe is made using pantry staples, and ingredients you might already have available in your kitchen. Try adding some mushrooms, roasted cauliflower, butternut squash, potatoes or peppers for extra fiber and flavor. I make easy and healthy everyday recipes that your family will love! The chutney and mustard seed oil might feel like "options", but dag they're tasty, so I'd recommend not skipping those. While allowing the curry to simmer, add in the grape tomatoes and chickpeas. 1 (3") piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced, 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained, 2 (13.5-oz.) Next day topped the soup with cayenne pepper, lime juice and the chutney. The flavors of this dish were fantastic and the toppings are definitely key. Since this recipe is made to be very quick and easy, we use pantry ingredients that are easily available for that reason – sometimes you don’t feel like heading out to purchase onions!