Absolutely delicious! Thank you very much, Jewel. This is just the way my former mother-in-law makes them. While chicken is cooking, make dumplings. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat nearly falls from the bones. I cooked the whole chicken and used the amount of veggies called for with enough water to completely cover. If you do just like she says you will have a great pot of dumplings. to much liquid for two cups of flour! Drop into boiling chicken broth and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Just like my mom taught me to make dumplings in the south. kneaded in etc. The cold water equaled about 3/4 of a cup incorporated about 1/4 cup to start then 2 tbsp. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes until chicken is done and tender. A great way to get my grown up kids back home! Uncover; add reserved chicken. Thanks so much I can't wait to try this recipe! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 1 large chicken (6 pounds) 2 medium carrots, chopped. Great recipe! Thank you. It should be partially covered with flour. Cut into 1 1/2 or 2 inch wide pieces. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. :) micah. When enough dumplings have been added to broth, (you may not need them all) and don't add too many because they have to boil and cook. Wash and place the cut up chicken in Dutch Oven with pleanty of water to boil. Add salt to boiling chicken (to taste), black pepper and a stick of butter. square. I grew up on this stuff and have always had an appreciation for chicken and dumplings. I haven't been able to find a recipe without baking powder or soda and I know there is none of that in my favorite "slippery" dumplings. Break these into 2 inch long strips. 2 celery ribs, sliced. Stir in pepper. All I can say is "FABULOUS"! The only thing I do is use BISQUICK rather than the dumpling recipe. In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. This is how my 92 year old Grandmother makes hers...LOL...but she never gives up her recipes...she tells me "it's not time to hand over yet"...so, all I can do for now is watch her and hope I guess right on measurements;-) "Old Fashioned" No veggies, no milk, nothing but a chicken with some "rolled" dumplings in broth..and no "biscuits" sitting on top. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Add the egg and mix well again. It is also an awesome comfort food! Great recipe. When chicken is tender and well done, remove from bone. Add water, vinegar and salt (adding more water, if necessary, to cover chicken). I am so looking forward to making these. She is now 86 and no longer cooks, but on holidays and family get-togethers this is the requested dish she has to "come out of retirement" to cook. Oh I love this recipe... Tastes just like my grandmother used to make in Arkansas. Add chicken one piece at a time to the boiling water. so it is thicker and not chicken soup. 4 quarts water. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Place lid on pot and cook until dumplings began to change and become somewhat translucent. It is perfect just the way it is. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition I rolled the dough too thick and also put some shortening in it because I thought it was a little like pie dough. Remove bones from broth leaving chicken meat in broth; turn onto simmer while you prepare dumplings. Thank you ! Jewel. Step 1, You will need a rolling pin and a floured surface. Good Job Lillian. Gradually stir 1/4 cup of reserved broth into egg, picking up flour as you go. This was taught to me by my now deceased Mother-in-law who was an excellent cook. Sprinkle each piece of chicken with salt and pepper to taste. The dumplings are quick and easy to make as well as tasty! Separate the dough into 4 or 5 parts and roll as thin as possible. Dust with additional flour; let dry for 30-60 minutes. And the most requested of her recipes. Knead the dough for a few seconds on a floured board. Drop dumplings into boiling broth. I roll it thru a pasta machine and I think maybe this dumpling dough could go thru the the machine on the 1st setting. Thanks for posting!!!! It's ok if some flour drops into pot with dumplings. My mother used to make them and the recipe seems to have been lost... Can't wait until I try it! MAKING EGG NOODLES AT HOME (COOKING SCHOOL), WHOLE-GRAIN PIE CRUST W/ PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. Cut into 1-in. It is a version of this recipe without the chicken broth and chicken, only diced potatoes cooked in salt, pepper, butter and boiled in water, then they added the dumplings. Thank you, Jewel! Before adding the chicken back I added 4 cups more water and 2 veggie boullion cubes to the broth so that I could use all the dumplings. This is a great recipe I have used is several times. Pour 2 quarts of chicken stock or broth into a large pot and start warming it up on the stove top while you make the dumplings.. Jewel -- I was very excited to see your recipe for "Great Old Fashioned Chicken & Dumplings" as I've been looking for many years for a recipe that results in "firm" dumplings! Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Bake chicken for about 45 minutes. Make a well in the flour/powder mixture; pour in 1 cup of hot chicken broth, mixing first with a fork, then with your fingers.