Today I smoked a pork boston butt for my very first time . Remove the pork butt from the brine and pat dry. Learn how your comment data is processed. It adds flavor and results in better pulled pork, in our opinion. I have made several pulled pork recipes- this one is king! Combine all of the rub ingredients in a bowl and stir until evenly distributed. Pull off and discard any skin. If you have enough space on your smoker to smoke both pork butts at the same time with room for the heat and air to circulate, then you would just calculate time for an 8.5 lb pork butt (instead of the full weight of the packaged meat and both should finish at the same (shorter amount) of time. When done, remove the pork from the smoker, wrap it Paul and Clara are bigger baby back rib fans, and Rose seems to like barbecued chicken or grilled salmon best, but nobody will turn down a juicy pulled pork sandwich! If it is still tough, cook longer. Look out. There was more fat then expected. It’s the same amount of liquid whether you use water or apple juice. Carolina Pulled Pork Sliders with Mustard Sauce. I, too, did this in the oven and transferred to the slow cooker to "hold" and serve. The pork tasted great with or without the barbeque sauce. This is a great question. This is real deal Carolina style BBQ! DELICIOUS. Smoke Pork Shoulder at 225 degrees, after about 6-8 hours the internal temp should hit 160. The only reason it would take longer to do two butts instead of one is if they are touching or if the smoker is overcrowded and the heat and smoker are having trouble reaching all parts of the meat. Summer Fruit Salad with honey lime poppy seed dressing, Perfect Grilled Pork Chops with Sweet BBQ Pork Rub. And most important of all… Don't Forget The Coleslaw! Cant wait to try this I just got a treager smoker. I’m planning a big bbq for a retirement and I have 90+ for the event. (Even though it will take a little longer, lower temperature smoking makes for juicier meats.) Learn how your comment data is processed. Exactly. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/north-carolina-pulled-pork This is a different experience from the sweet barbecue sauce we Northerners expect, but it was quite delicious. Is that too fast? It’s got just a little sweetness and a little kick to it, but you can leave out the cayenne pepper if you don’t want any spice to it. I made this sauce for the first time today after i pulled my pork shoulder out of the smoker to rest, I want it to be known that I am totally over the moon with the flavors and tartness of this sauce. There is a reason it maintains a five-star rating on Amazon. http://www.meatwave.com/blog/barbecue-sauce-recipe-north-carolina-vinegar-sauce. dish, which I'll Stir in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the vinegar sauce, enough to keep the pork moist, then cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it on the grill for up to 30 minutes to keep warm. It was very good and went fast! So yummy. Cover the grill and smoke cook the pork shoulder until fall-off-the-bone tender and the internal temperature on an instant-read meat thermometer reaches 195°F, 4 to 6 hours (the cooking time will depend on the size of the pork roast and the heat of the grill). If you DO find one, I definitely recommend getting it and using it! for a fine description of smoking pork, from purchase to pulling. We now know why they call it "soul food.". Speaking of that dark bark, some people might be scared that the pork looks almost burnt, but I promise it won’t taste that way. If using the rub, combine the mild paprika, brown sugar, hot paprika, celery salt, garlic salt, dry mustard, pepper, onion powder, and salt in a bowl and toss with your fingers to mix. Pork is easily shredded when done. Instead, I settled for a far more reasonable smoked pork shoulder that I shredded into the best dang pulled pork sandwiches I've ever had the opportunity to enjoy. The temperature control is fantastic, and the build quality is exceptional. Your email address will not be published. Thank you! Smoked low and slow with apple, cherry, or hickory wood, and slathered with Carolina mustard BBQ sauce, this recipe makes the best pulled pork sandwiches ever! I was immediately inspired to rush out and purchase a whole hog, a trailer-sized smoker, as well as enough friends to help me consume the scores of pulled pork sandwiches this pig would produce! And I travel the country cooking in over 20 competition barbecue and World Steak Cookoff contests each year as Killer Hogs barbecue team. 350 degree oven. This recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com July 29, 2016. You want to go by internal temp – not time. Bet it was mighty tasty. Next time I'm going to get WAY more meat. It really is the best! Our favorite pork rub is easy to make with spices that are already in your pantry. Most often I do half and half. Look for a bone-in pork shoulder that is around 6 to 8 pounds. pulled pork. next day I put it in a pot with a lid and let it cook Smoke the pork shoulder, while mopping hourly, for 8-10 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 200 degrees F. Made this as per advice and let the rub marinade for 48 hours then smoked in Weber Mountain over hickory for 12 hours. That’s where a thin vinegar sauce comes in, because a Kansas City sauce would be too thick to be absorbed by the slender shreds of meat. Pile this smoked pulled pork high on buttered, toasted buns and pour some of your favorite barbecue sauce over it and it is heaven on a bun! I then wrapped Thank you for sharing! The traditional method is to smoke the pork for hours and hours, which gives the meat a deep smoky flavor and unbelievable tenderness. Slow smoked with hickory, the fatty pork butts tenderize. Just wanted to leave a quick comment and let you know that I made this recipe over the weekend and it was a huge hit at our party. A few months ago, Paul had a great idea and recommended I do a series devoted to the meats we smoke, called House of Nash MEATS! Let the pork butt sit for 30 to 60 minutes to take some of the chill off before placing on the smoker. I have nowhere to store a whole hog. My advice, if you are worried about having the meat done at a specific time for a party or something, is to start smoking the meat so that it will be done a full 2-3 hours before you expect anybody to arrive. Place all ingredients into a sauce pan and heat until sugar has dissolved. I enjoy exploring the world through food, culture, and travel and sharing the adventure with mostly from-scratch, family friendly recipes that I think of as modern comfort cooking. If you don’t wrap, just hold back on the smoke at the end and expect it to take about 2 hours longer (depending on the size of your smoker). Smoked pork shoulder will stall at 160 degrees and then the temperature doesn't seem to move anymore. You don’t have to wrap shoulders – regardless of the smoker. Thanks for the recipe! This is one of the best things i've ever eaten. I have never been a fan of pulled pork with BBQ sauce but if this is proper pulled pork then I am a convert . I bought two 3 pound pork shoulders, doubled the rub, marinated with the rub overnight and then cooked the meat in a dutch oven for three hours at 350 degrees. so I made this in For pulled pork, you want it to reach an internal temperature of 195°F to 205°F before you know it’s done. My I’m Malcom Reed and these are my recipes. Absolutely! I will make it again and again and again. them, then stuck Editor's note: The recipe and introductory text below are from The Barbecue! You say in your post the brine will use apple cider vinegar or juice – but, the recipe omits it. 6. As an Amazon Associate, Smoker Cooking earns from qualifying purchases. Once the pork has finished smoking, remove it from the smoker and let it rest for 1-2 hours to redistribute the juices. How much should I use? Great story teller. Also, used chibatta rolls as they hold up better than hamburger buns. Pull or shred the smoked pork by hand, with forks, or using meat claws. The extended smoking time also creates a beautiful bark crust on the outside. Check the internal temperature every hour, and when the internal temp hits 200+, pull it from the smoker. I am wanting to try your recipe if I cannot get a pork butt with bone in does the cooking time change or are we still looking at 8-10 hours. I have pork shoulder, butt, ham., mostly the whole pig with ham hocks. bottom of the baking I try to cut the fat off it a little before I pull it. There will also be a pink ring around the inside, which is common when smoking meats. Pork shoulder is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 195, though you can let it creep up to 203 degrees for added tenderness. Optional: Wrap in plastic and let rest in the refrigerator overnight. I've been cooking indoors and out, very adventurously, for 30 years, but I've always been daunted by pulled pork on the grill. Check out We LOVE using our smoker and are always trying new recipes with it. You don’t really want it any thicker than that. pulling-tenderness. I used only 1 2/2 cups of vinegar but kept the rest of the ingredients as called for. This is a keeper! Don't skip the coleslaw or the vinegar sauce - even though the meat is great on its own, the accompaniments really make it sing. The fat melts and the connective tissues turn into flavorful gelatin, which is why this is … Love it! If your pork shoulder gets done earlier than anticipated, you can keep it warm in a towel packed cooler for hours. We had never had the Carolina Style with the Apple Cider Vinegar based sauce before, so I wasn’t sure what I would end up with. To make this Carolina pulled pork recipe, three things are needed. A few months back I made the mistake of watching a PBS documentary on Carolina pit masters.