To avoid that, they will follow your shadow. I want everyone to live their best life... for as long as possible.

New Tick Species Appears in U.S. for First Time in 50 Years, Spiders Can Spin Webs of Silk Stronger Than Steel, Information about the device's operating system, Information about other identifiers assigned to the device, The IP address from which the device accesses a client's website or mobile application, Information about the user's activity on that device, including web pages and mobile apps visited or used, Information about the geographic location of the device when it accesses a website or mobile application. The reason people think they are being chased by camel spiders is that they are nocturnal and don’t like to be out in the open. Its name also stems from the urban myth that camel spiders attack camels by jumping on them and eating out their stomachs to lay their eggs in. (Yes, I get my screenings too.) If you are bitten, you should go to the doctor right away to have the bite wound cleaned — because camel spider bites can easily become infected. I do my best to provide my own raw and honest firsthand experiences that I think others would appreciate hearing about and (hopefully) find helpful. The same is true of our troops returning from Iraq. Another common name is wind scorpion, but it’s not a scorpion, either. They may be found in any dark area such as a crawl space or a shed. As your shadow moves, so does the camel spider. This photo shows the typical camel spider size, next to a ruler. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork. Unlike most spiders, Camel Spiders breathe with a trachea. Professionally, I pursued my Masters Degree in Family Therapy at Texas Tech -- where I obtained invaluable expertise and experience helping people with a wide variety of physical and emotional health issues. So any time that I think my personal health experiences would be helpful to someone else going through the same thing, I will share my story here. However, most of the stories attributed to camel spiders are not true.

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. (There is one species in India that may in fact have venom, but it is not known if this species of camel spider has a way to inject its venom.). So I often write about the health screenings that we all should be getting -- to help catch potential health issues early. Not only do they blend well with their surroundings, they like to hide. Camel spiders have mouth claws called chelicerae, which are used for a dizzying variety of purposes, one of which seems to be. Camel spiders are usually found in desert areas. Camel spiders (Eremobates spp.) When I'm not writing about health topics, you will find me sharing Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'thefuntimesguide_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',800,'0','0'])); #1 – Camel spiders can grow up to 6 inches in length. True, they are fast, but only compared to other arachnids. #8 – The camel spider is not poisonous, nor does it have venom. When it comes to speed the Camel Spider is said to be among the fastest. This doesn’t mean that the soldiers are being untruthful.
Their running speeds have been clocked at 10 miles per hour. I'm grateful that I have a number of friends who have also been willing to share their very personal stories here -- regarding their own physical and emotional health. They’ve probably heard the urban legends and bought into them just as many uninformed people have done. Camel spiders belong to the class Arachnida, but while all spiders are arachnids, not all arachnids are spiders. However, they typically m… The secret to the fast Camel Spider running speed is its trachea. Filed Under: Health & Beauty, Predicaments & Emergencies Tagged With: Bug Bites, Spiders, Videos. The camel spider is of the order Solifugae, which is Latin for “those who flee from the sun,” according to the National Science Foundation (NSF). The reason people think they are being chased by camel spiders is that they are nocturnal and don’t like to be out in the open. #7 – There is no evidence that camel spiders can jump, contrary to many claims. The story also goes that camel spiders inject humans with it and chew big bites out of them, but the human don’t know they’ve been bitten until they wake up. In fact, the camel spider eats other insects, small lizards, small mice, and birds. #10 – While this spider’s bite is generally not harmful to humans (unless it gets infected), the camel spider can kill small animals. Some animals have a reputation that's hard to shake. They are found mostly in the southwest U.S. and in southern Africa. They are able to move about 10 miles per hour. There are many myths surrounding camel spiders — most of which are blatantly untrue. have a fierce reputation but, in truth, they aren't spiders at all, but solifugids. #2 – The camel spider got its name because it lives in the desert like the camels. This is one species of Spider that is often hard to find. Kristie Reddick/The Bug Chicks. #4 – Camel spiders are still fast, but they can only run 10 mph. This allows them to breathe large amounts of oxygen quickly and … Camel Spiders: Murderous Speed Demons of the Desert. #6 – The terror associated with camel spiders came in part from the early 90’s — when U.S. soldiers were returning from Desert Storm, they told stories about the camel spiders they had seen there. They don’t bite humans unless they feel threatened. #5  Camel spiders only use 3 pairs of legs for running. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website. #4 – Camel spiders are still fast, but they can only run 10 mph. There are several stories, pictures and videos online pertaining to the camel spider — many of them are out of Iraq. Okay, granted they are ugly little buggers.

People that have piles of clothing and other items in their homes may be making the perfect habitat for them as well.