calculus you do not need for programming at all, but you also dont need a lot of other things like chemistry, physicals, writing, you should still do well in school in general. That's my end goal. Basically, I want to take courses that will help with my career. Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Also, in your programming classes, you'll probably get some lab assignments telling you to write a loop to compute pi by looking at the sum (-1)i /(2i+1) for i = 0 to N (or a similarly cute trick). Unless of course it's just a computational class where you do nothing but multiply matrices and calculate determinants. Get a free answer to a quick problem. Are you going to use calculus regularly at work? The word ‘Maths’ can terrify people who don’t have a bit of interest in this subject. It trains your brain to think about problems a certain way I think. Press J to jump to the feed. The ability to grok a rule system and apply it to solve specific problems is, in general, a CS skill set. Cryptography is going to require number theory and analysis courses. But I do think that having mathematical maturity and the skills to test things out have given me different set of tools to solve some of those problems. It's also useful for gaming, physics, stuff like that. AI (especially computer vision), image processing, and computer graphics can utilize calculus. More where the hardware meets the software. r/engineering is **NOT** for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or for homework / project help. Especially if you have the typical CS student mindset "oh just gotta get through this lame class." And (if possible) recommend me a book or any reading material that shows relation between these two with practice exercises (if possible). A link to the app was sent to your phone. Linear algebra will make you more mathematically mature. If more math makes sense, I'll do it, but I'd like to hear reasons for those in the workforce. How has Math benefited (or not benefited) you? share. And they do have a heavy programming component. Same for statistics (which is used a lot in machine learning and AI). For engineering students, there is that episode (or episodes) in the calculus class, may it be in Differential or Integral Calculus, that we ask ourselves if the efforts we put in the class will be all worth it, or if we really need to learn the subject. What are the applications of Calculus in Software Engineering/Computer science? with lots of calculations or real world simulations, or other similar scenarios, not really all that much. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The math classes required are going to depend on what area of software engineering you are interested in. And can you distinguish between a company that focuses on Computer Graphics and Computer Vision? This is a place for engineering students of any discipline to discuss study methods, get homework help, get job search advice, and find a compassionate ear when you get a 40% on your midterm after studying all night. (Calculus 3 is when shit gets harder IMO). It's fundamental for computer graphics, but also heavily used in image processing, computer vision, AI, and a variety of misc algorithms. With CS, the majority of what you need to learn you won't be taught in college, so focus on a habit of self-learning so you can find out what the really useful Math stuff is. As a second degree, I want to avoid any fluff/theory courses and instead, get into the workforce sooner, doing co-op, etc. And (if possible) recommend me a book or any reading material that shows relation between these two with practice exercises (if possible). Like what will their end products be? 1. 4 comments. Students complained. Software engineering includes designing the right algorithm for the application. And, by extension, Control Systems will require a conceptual understanding as well. I've applied to a few schools in my city, all reputable in the area, and the curriculum I posted requires the most math courses. I've had to design PID controllers on multiple occasions where we had to use both differentiation and integration. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need. For the case you describe, calculus will not help you much unless you want to get into the fields that I mentioned above. But I don't think you become mathematically mature by taking a year of calculus or discrete math. But...can't you gain this knowledge through work experience? And, if possible, recommend me something related to integration and programming exercises. There ARE fields of CS that utilize calculus. It may measures functionality from user’s point of view. In my robotics, computer vision, and AI courses there was calculus being used. Maybe, maybe not. In terms of time+cost, I feel like it might be better to just focus on self-instruction, because it's a requirement to be a software engineer anyway, and most colleges don't seem to teach much, but will waste thousands of hours of your time on material that might not even be tested, or will never be required to commit to memory long-term as software engineer. Of the schools I have applied to, 1 school requires me to do 7 Math courses: I've read the more math you know, the better off you'll be as you take on more complicated tasks/roles-because it makes you 'think like a computer scientist'. It's not necessarily that I am afraid of Math, but I only want to take what's applicable for a career in software engineering. But if you do know the theory, you know which tools to use, you know why they work, and you know how to fix them. There's another technical college (diploma) I am considering that only requires 2 Applied Math courses (Discrete, linear algebra) but in the first semester you already start programming. What method are they using? Find any textbook on the subject, and try to program your way through the problems. I am a second-degree seeking student (28) who applied to a few schools in my city. I would say if you just want to do general software dev then it won't be helpful in a way where you're using calculus in your work. If your college has a co-op plan, then that's awesome too. To a large degree, calculus will help understand the theory behind several algorithms but you don't really need a strong understanding and can often use algorithms without knowing how they work. How does Calculus make me a better programmer? There are probably a ton of useful mathematical things I could've committed to memory, but my college professors never highlighted the important ones, and never tie it back to computer science. Mathematics is an important foundation for many science and engineering domains.Similarly, Discrete mathematics and logic are foundations for computer-based disciplines such as Computer Science, Software Engineering and Information Systems. Software engineering is een deelgebied van de informatica dat zich bezighoudt met alle aspecten van het bouwen van complexe maar betrouwbare software tot informatiesystemen.Het is een vakgebied dat zich bezighoudt met methodes om een vraag of probleem in de werkelijkheid om te zetten naar een computerprogramma.. Iemand die bedreven is in software engineering is een software engineer … I think of it this way: an electrician may fully comply with construction codes, but an Electrical Engineer needs Calculus to create the codes; technicians may assemble parts for the Space Station, but Calculus is required for a computer program to create a 3D-printed tool while on the Space Station; a computer network technician may install and tune a computer network, but a Network Software Engineer uses advanced Calculus … This list is targeted at a general software developer. If you're a Ruby on Rails developer working on a cool web app you probably won't need any of the above maths, but the CS degree should prepare you for the general computer science field. r/engineering is a forum for engineering professionals to share information, knowledge, experience related to the principles & practices of the numerous engineering disciplines. How does Calculus make me a better programmer? So if I wanted to apply to Pixar as one of their Graphics Software Engineers, then the Math would be beneficial?