Hi, thanks so much for stopping by. This makes Doctored Cake Mix a great recipe for baking newbies and kids alike. I love using this recipe when I have to make cupcakes a day or so in advance because I know that they’ll still taste perfectly fresh – even after being stored for 24 hours. This method is also great for incorporating your favorite candy bars or seasonal candy. Would i do, like, a butter pecan or carrot cake mix?? If you happen to give it a try, I’d love to know how it turned out. It seems that this doctored up cake mix … Hello! And lest you think that you can only use Doctored Cake Mix to make cupcakes, I also love using it to make layer cakes! Check out Take 5 Cupcakes, Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes, Heath Bar Cupcakes, or Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. so I have the Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake mix but how much of the Vanilla Pudding powder do I put in ? They have no artificial ingredients, no trans-fat, no bleached flour. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined. posted by Jamie on March 11, 2019 Versatile. @jamiemba. I like to add instant espresso dissolved in water to help deepen the chocolate flavor. Thanks for sharing! If you don't have instant espresso granules, you can sub in 1/2 cup warm coffee. If that means a fabulous cupcake in less time, then give yourself a break and go for it. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and espresso water mixture. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, … Homemade Taste Hi I most often use my Doctored Cake Mix trick with chocolate cake mix, but it works great for making Coconut Cupcakes from a vanilla cake mix. Jamie. Using a large cookie scoop, distribute the batter between 24 muffin wells; about 3 tablespoons of batter per well. I am Anne Byrn, the New York Times best-selling cookbook author who has inspired millions of Americans to bake cake. And let me tell ya about the crazy wind gusts that propelled the pillows off my front porch yesterday morning and had them blowing around the neighborhood like tumbleweeds. Kitchen tested Hello! Slather it with my Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, light the candles, and you will have my children’s favorite birthday cake. And some of your other recipes. We loved her homemade brownies, which she called “fudge cake.” As a busy mom, I found myself unsatisfied with the brownie mixes on the grocery shelf because they contained artificial colors and flavors, things you would never find in Bebe’s brownies. You’ll love the quick ease and the rich, deep chocolate aroma and flavor that I hope will bring back happy memories for you, too. Two ingredients make Doctored Cake Mix super moist: pudding mix and sour cream. In the midst of raising a busy family, I reached for a cake mix and wrote an article and then the break-out hit cookbook called, The Cake Mix Doctor. I was always told to use butter in place of oil to help boost the taste of boxed cake mix. Now I have introduced a line of natural cake mixes that are far superior to the cake mix on the shelf. The batter for Doctored Cake Mix is really thick, so it’s a great consistency for suspending little surprises inside cupcakes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If desired, drizzle the cooled cake with your favorite recipe for chocolate ganache. Adding pudding to cake mix is always a great way to make your cake – or any baked goods – stay soft. Now this perfect, easy mix is a reality. There are many reasons to adore this Doctored Cake Mix and number one on that list is that it’s super moist. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t get from-scratch flavor from a boxed mix! Easy to Bake Happy baking! After that start to Daylight Savings Time Sunday, I needed a cupcake, or three. but when we do we replace the water with milk and add a teaspoon of Vanilla but otherwise we follow the directions on the box. I’ve dreamed of creating a yellow cake mix that gets its color from butter and eggs, not artificial colors, and its scent from Madagascar vanilla. via Email. I totally panicked because I love those pillows. In the midst of raising a busy family, I reached for a cake mix and wrote an article and then the break-out hit cookbook called, The Cake Mix Doctor. I eventually chased one into my neighbor’s backyard, which I had to just let go because it blew into the creek. Homemade Taste, Artificial Colors The fact that they started with a mix will be our little secret. You already know I’m kind of obsessed with nestling candy into my cupcakes, and this ultra thick batter is ideal for that technique. ** Thank YOU so much for visiting this post! Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. I am Anne Byrn, the New York Times best-selling cookbook author who has inspired millions of Americans to bake cake. Doctored Cake Mix is an easy way to make a cake mix extra special. ie the whole packet which is 100g ? Soooo…i have a butterscotch pudding mix. How to Doctor Yellow Cake Mixes for Cupcakes or Cakes We don’t use Yellow Cake Mix that often (unless of course it is Laurie’s birthday because she always requests Yellow Cake and Chocolate Frosting for her birthday cakes!) Pour the batter into a well-greased, 12-cup bundt cake pan. To get a sample of the Bundt Project, try a free recipe – the Best Pound Cake. But I also think we should use the tools and ingredients that give you the results you want. Your email address will not be published. I haven’t attempted this recipe with butter, so I am not sure of the result. Required fields are marked *. Bleached Flour Trans-fat, Real Ingredients For a strawberry cake mix, would you recommend a canilla pudding mix? ©2020 My Baking Addiction. I’ve yet to be able to recreate the perfection of this Doctored Cake Mix on my own (not that I don’t keep trying). Hope this helps! Bake this luscious cake for birthdays, dinner parties, even on weeknights. My mother Bebe was an excellent cook and baker. And I’m pretty sure they were having family over for an early breakfast, so I just tried not to look at their windows while spewing swear words and tripping over those dang sandals. I can promise that Doctored Cake Mix will become your new favorite trick for baking up perfect cakes every time. This post may contain affiliate links. My favorite Devil's Food Cake is Betty Crocker - Pudding in the mix. Pour batter evenly between 2 greased 9-inch cake pans. Hello! Toss everything into a large mixing bowl, mix until it’s combined and it comes out perfect every single time. if so do I need to add extra eggs / milk ? Preservatives via RSS Just imagine adding little peanut butter cups to the center of your chocolate cupcakes and topping them with peanut butter buttercream. But if you aren’t into coffee, you can always use plain water instead. 1 (15.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix (see note below), 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix, 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water (see note below). Design by Purr. Thank you! Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. I’m Jamie and I bake too much, watch way more hours of Food Network programming than I care to admit publicly, I stay up too late, and eat way too much sugar. Artificial Flavors Hi! Tag me on social! Hello! I want to see what you made! Hope this helps! Just use an appropriate pudding mix flavor and omit the espresso granules, just using plain water. I’ll be the first to tell you that baking a cake from scratch can be an incredibly fun and cathartic experience.