The Folgers Classic Roast (about $5 for an 8-ounce jar, or about 10¢ per serving) is definitely not “the best part of waking up.” If anything, it made me want to crawl back into bed and hide under the covers. The Mount Hagen Organic Fair Trade Instant Coffee (about $9 for 25 packets, or 36¢ per serving) was our favorite instant brand in our 2017 taste test, and it got high marks again in this round of testing. Unlike Canyon and Verve, which sell their coffees only in single-serving packets, Mount Hagen also sells this coffee in a larger, 3.53-ounce jar. I got to buy more. So, I'm happy with this...great coffee from a company that believes in supporting fair trade with growers!! This seems pretty expensive to me. She also brewed it again using 9 ounces of water (instead of the recommended 10 ounces) and found it to be a much more balanced, flavorful cup. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Hagen, then Cafe Altura. Reviewed in the United States on March 26, 2017. Actually dissolves in cold water. Reviewed in the United States on May 20, 2017. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Clipper was also a better price than the other two, but took 53 days to arrive at my house from Tora Foods UK. I am sensitive to acids so I drink this kinda weak anyway, and the flavor seems warmer, more medium-roast, and little aftertaste if you all know what I mean about instant coffee. Ordered my first two-pack a little over week ago. After making over 100 espressos, we’ve determined that all Nespresso machines make identical drinks, so your best option is the affordable Essenza Mini. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Cafe Altura Freeze Dried Instant Organic Coffee, 3.53 Ounce (Pack of 2), See all details for Cafe Altura Freeze Dried Instant Organic Coffee, 3.53 Ounce (Pack of 2). We took note of any undissolved granules, and how easy the packages or containers were to open, which is particularly important for outdoor excursions. Like Canyon, Verve sells its coffee only in individual packets, but they’re a little cheaper per serving. Better than any brewed. EXCELLENT instant coffee! (aside from Starbucks Via Italian which is ridiculously overpriced), Reviewed in the United States on 17 July 2016. After reading reviews that suggested adding this to protein shakes and one person who suggested it makes good cold coffee, I decided to try it. The flavor wasn’t that pronounced, and I found it more watery than the Canyon or Verve coffees. Where's their organic option anyway? Marguerite said that it reminded her of the coffee at her neighborhood brunch spot: “It’s totally middle-of-the-road in a fine way.” Marilyn found the Verve a bit bland, but she picked up a slight berry or citrus zing. 1 serving or 1500mg coffee (1.5g) is 45 mg of caffeine per serving. Considering that the bar is pretty low for instant coffee, we were surprised to find how much of a difference there was between each brand—some smelled and tasted pretty close to freshly brewed coffee, with subtle notes of chocolate or fruit, but others reeked of burnt rubber and tasted bitter, sour, or flat. Reviewed in the United States on 20 May 2016. A couple packets stashed in your glovebox can be handy for long road trips or as an alternative to the weak and watery coffee at your relatives’ place. Have been drinking instant coffee for 25 years. Otherwise, why bother? Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. We thought it would be an unfair comparison to truly instant coffee, which is made from spray- or freeze-dried coffee concentrate. We avoided decaffeinated instant coffee, and options that had added sugar, creamer, and other flavorings. on-time delivery, great product, will order again, Reviewed in the United States on July 27, 2019. After a new round of testing, we’ve totally rewritten this guide, ranking 10 instant coffees from best to undrinkable. But expensive! I like the coffee w/without cream. After eliminating the worst offenders, we tasted our favorites a second time the following day with a fresh palate, this time black and with milk added. This is the best instant coffee I have ever had, a spoonful of it, one spoonful of brown sugar, two tablespoon of evaporated milk, and hot boiling water, great latte! Other brands were completely sold out, so we couldn’t test them. After researching over 50 types of instant coffee, I settled on 10 to test. Honestly, it seems very similar to Mt Hagen to me- there is a subtle difference between that I don't have the verbal skills to describe. Since we’re currently working from home due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we tasted the coffees separately and discussed the results over Zoom. Although it’s probably not the ideal choice for your morning cup of joe, instant coffee can be a saving grace when access to fresh-brewed coffee isn’t an option. Awesome customer service. 1. It even dissolves in milk cold from the fridge if you use an aggressive stir. Especially coffee from many developing nations that douse coffee with tons of pesticides. If you’re partial to fruitier coffee with a pronounced sour flavor, we think you’ll like the Tandem coffee, but it’s not for everyone. There’s a reason instant coffee gets such a bad rap: It usually tastes terrible. Each jar is 100g with 60 x 1.5g servings. and thought I would give this a try. Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. © 2020 Wirecutter, Inc., A New York Times Company, Verve Coffee Roasters Streetlevel Instant Craft Coffee, Mount Hagen Organic Fair Trade Instant Coffee, Starbucks Via Instant Colombia Medium Roast Coffee, Tandem Coffee Time and Temperature Instant Coffee, Maxwell House Original Roast Instant Coffee, filmed another tasting video in real time, We Tasted 4 of the Newest (and Most Photogenic) Instant Coffees, The Best Nespresso Machine (But It’s Not for Everyone). I've tried Mt. Marguerite thought it smelled lightly of hot cocoa. With this (and another brand I mix with it sometimes) I don't miss brewed coffee during the hot months. I thought it had a charred aftertaste, but it wasn’t as overwhelming as that of the acrid Starbucks or Folgers coffee. We were also limited by what was available at the time of our testing, since some brands, like Sudden Coffee, have stopped production due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Hi Vera – thanks for writing in. I wrote in my notes, “Its burnt rubber aroma is so overwhelming—it tastes like coffee that’s been sitting in a glass carafe for hours and has boiled beyond recognition.” Marguerite just wrote, “Oof, acrid.” And Marilyn noted, “Good acid, long sweetness, and nice toasty notes at the end. 5. There are no solvents used in the freeze dried process. It’s also more complicated to try to make a pour-over than to simply make instant coffee in water, especially when you’re on the go. It gets me up in the morning, and keeps my head clear. 3. It’s also quite pricey per serving. Reviewed in the United States on May 7, 2017. Marguerite found that it didn’t have a strong aroma, but it still smelled like a balanced cup. The pricing is worth the value I perceive to be getting from this coffee purchase. This coffee tastes great and is organic and non gmo. This page works best with JavaScript. The Verve Coffee Roasters Streetlevel Instant Craft Coffee ($16 for six packets, or about $2.70 per serving) had a very mild aroma that was a touch malty and papery, with a pleasant roasted scent. I give the nod to Cafe Altura though because due to Amazon's Subscribe and Save option, Cafe Altura is just a little cheaper. The container lid could be designed better for maintaining freshness (it doesn't screw on tight). I brew fresh coffee at home, but like to have some instant stuff bring to work. Hagen, Cafe Altura, and Clipper. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. 7. 6. My preference is Clipper #1, followed by My. Why is price rising so fast? Prime members enjoy unlimited free, fast delivery on eligible items, video streaming, ad-free music, exclusive access to deals & more. I LOVE IT! Hagan brand and I have to agree. Best Organic coffee. And although we probably wouldn’t use a $3 packet of instant coffee for baking, something with decent flavor will make your pastries that much better. Marilyn said it was “super chalky.”. A little pricey but would buy it again, Reviewed in the United States on June 21, 2016. I like really good, rich coffee. And we stuck to medium roasts, because we learned in our previous tests that dark and light roasts tend to be too polarizing. Learn more. Reviewed in the United States on 5 July 2020. I'm fairly picky with coffee, and I only drink organic (just with coffee, it really does make a difference in how you feel). It is delicious! If your local grocery store is experiencing shortages right now, the best instant coffee is obviously whatever you can find. Reviewed in the United States on May 20, 2020. I was joined by two editors from the Wirecutter kitchen team, Marguerite Preston and Marilyn Ong. Reviewed in the United States on May 1, 2018. I wrote that it was “very acidic and sour with a decent body.” Marilyn detected some fruity notes, writing, “It smells like blackberry pie.” She also said that it tasted more like a berry tea than actual coffee. Its stale, slightly charred aftertaste was also unpleasant. Unlimited FREE fast delivery, video streaming & more. Really, one can't go wrong with either brand however but for pete's sake, forget Tasters Choice or any of the other non-organic, non fair-trade supermarket brands. What more could a person ask for? We brewed all of the instant coffees according to the package instructions and tasted them black, evaluating their aroma, flavor, balance, and body. Marguerite said, “It smells a little bit like rubber, a distinct sickly sweet, metallic instant coffee scent,” adding, “it tastes like gasoline.” Marilyn wrote, “It tastes like it was made with something else entirely.