Sephani, those both sound awesome! I can't see where the risk of infection is any greater than with any other type of yeast. Add the bloomed yeast concoction to the half portion of cider. Prep the oxidizer solution according to package directions. A little tackiness is good but if the dough seems too sticky once you have started working it then you can knead a little more flour in with clean, floured hands. One evening, James and I were chilling on our deck, each with a cider, and a thought popped into my head – maybe I could adapt that beer bread into a cider bread, and head in a sweeter direction. This was a wine kit manufactuer that does not manufacture yeast. Place the cheesecloth into the funnel like a coffee filter into a brew basket. What happens when a thought becomes an experiment – I could not live without my recipe notebooks! I’ve never learned to love the taste of it as a beverage, but I think it’s a fabulous ingredient! After the dough has first risen, knock back, divide into 10 equal pieces and shape into flat rounds. Outside of homebrewing, what do you guys do. Looks like a recipe I will be trying. It tasted a lot like Manischewitz, actually not bad if you like Manischewitz. Rehydrate the baking yeast in lukewarm water. One is with Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple seasonal cider, with golden raisins instead of cranberries. I just tried my very first batch of hard cider it seems pretty strong (alcohol level), and it's really really sweet.. tastes good other than WAY too sweet.. Um... Luigi, it shouldn't be a surprise that you got a really sweet beverage. Look at the DuPont yeast which ferments starts strange temps for beer (though not unusual for wine) and most think it started as a wine strain. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the bread is golden brown. Step 3. Spray an 8″ bread pan with cooking spray, then pour batter into the pan. Cherry on top- it's vegan!! If it doesn't work, I haven't lost much. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. If it doesn't work then try something else. Please see my privacy policy and affiliate disclosure.. Disclaimer: I have not been asked by Woodchuck Hard Cider to write this post or develop this recipe, nor have I been compensated in any way. I bet the Spring Woodchuck is fabulous in this bread. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. When you think about it that's not so much different from working with wild yeasts; you take what you get and deal with it. Step 2. I’m happy to say that Hard Cider Bread is exceptional – perfectly apple-y and moist. Immerse the jug, the funnel and the stopper airlock in the sanitizer for at least five minutes. Depends on brand and strain. Does it produce undesirable alcohols (like fusels)? Yeah it’s a thing. I'm not saying it's true or not; it does seem to have somewhat of the ring of an urban legend about it. refering to. Let your imagination run free and celebrate the result: Your own unique cider! How to Make Hard Cider With Wild Yeast May contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Combine the room temperature apple juice concentrate, tannin, pectin enzyme and yeast nutrient with the cider. 3 cups All Purpose Flour Combine the flours with the salt in a large bowl making a well in the middle, then pour in the yeast mixture, the butter and the egg along with two thirds of the the cider. You could also put it in an open container with lots of surface area, leave it outside for 24 hours and try to do a spontaneous fermentation. oz. Whisk to combine ingredients and aerate. My first try at homebrewing was the typical Welch's frozen concentrate, some sugar, and bread yeast. // Leaf Group Lifestyle, The Homebrew Helper: How to Make Hard Apple Cider, The Paupered Chef: How to Make Hard Apple Cider, Food Republic: 12 Things You Didn't Know About Hard Cider. And I'm not too concerned about making a mess. I just bought some of the 2012 Spring Woodchuck and was so disappointed. My experience with bread yeasts has been that they are fine for certain situations, such as JAOM or maybe a sweet cider; just know up front that you will have to deal with certain characteristics which may not be as consistent or as ideal as with a wine yeast. Born in New York City, Tremaine Jackson has been in theater, dance and music since age 12, when he appeared in Liz Swados' "Swing" at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. He said it was fine and, most importantly, got him drunk every time. Superb flavor and another rustic, crunchy crust. It was nearly done bubbling in 5-7 days , thats when I bottled it. has been worth the cost of admission. Top with butter if desired and allow to melt for the last 2 minutes of cooking. I think you will too. However, one thing is for sure; bread yeast is primarily yeast, or else people would be making nasty piles of glop instead of bread dough. But I would agree that if you can find a real brewing yeast, it will give you a nicer end product. I knew it had to be Woodchuck, simply because of that champagne yeast. Try a bunch of beer yeasts in the same sort and you’ll get quite different character. Allow the cider to “mellow” for one to three weeks. Copyright © 2020 Bluebonnet Baker | Trellis Framework by Mediavine, Giveaway: Land o' Lakes Eggs & Visa Giftcard, Coconut Chicken Curry from the Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook. This is likely the most useful response. Hard Cider made with EC-1118 yeast: Appearance: Gold Straw color. Let it sit for five minutes until the yeast blooms. MBM30075 Well-Known Member . What to do with the remaining 5.5 bottles? Woodchuck Hard Cider Bread. You will collect wild yeast and bacteria so the fermentation will be slow. In a saucepan bring the cider and sugar to the boil and simmer gently for 1 minute then turn off the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm to the touch. That's the whole point of home brewing. I know, I know. It’s pretty much just mix, pour, bake, scarf down.   He writes fiction and poetry in his spare time. The other is Woodchuck Pumpkin Cider with a dab of pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon. You can, and it doesn’t turn out as horrendous or low ABV as people would have you believe. I was also craving bread this morning, so I thought I would spin off the classic beer bread using cider instead. I'm looking at probably doing some gelatin finings in a few weeks if it's still cloudy. Brush the loaf with milk and bake in the top third of the oven for 35 minutes until well risen and golden all over. Strongbow was my first love when it came to alcohol, so I always have a few handy. Nottingham Ale Yeast: This yeast is one of the favorites that I use often, especially when going for a semi-sweet cider. I also found this podcast, which seems to indicate that bread yeast CAN produce a good alcoholic beverage: I think the original brew date for this batch was 9/6. Out of curiosity, what is it about bread yeast that makes it NOT suitable for brewing? I'm doing a planned, thought-out experiment to see for myself what apple juice and bread yeast produce. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Brewing: News, info, discussion, stories and all things zymurgy. Put any spices and flavorings you like into the jug using an oxidized/sanitized measuring spoon. Fleischmann's Rapid Rise bread yeast...Oh yes i did! Now I want to experiment using an ale yeast to make bread... How about using a cider yeast cake, with all of the apple cider solids and the yeast? When the dough feels soft and pillowy and has risen, knock it back by kneading gently for 1 minute on a lightly floured surface. 4 teaspoons Baking Powder just way too sweet . For certain recipes, it works fine. Bread dough only rises for a few hours, so bread yeasts are optimized for a fast start; therefore if conditions are right they will easily crowd out any other organisms and once they start making alcohol they will kill off competition. ohiochris, I'll bet if you leave some of that cider long enough to clear it will be even better. What's surprising me with the JAOM is how long the fermentation has continued. It's very tasty. All rights reserved. Add cranberries and nuts (if using) and mix just until well distributed. Your video looks similar to what I've seen in my jugs. The "notes of maple syrup and brown sugar" made drinking it feel like licking a pancake--sticky! Yeah, that's my thinking. Amber grew up in San Antonio, Texas and lives there today with her husband, two boys and one geriatric, grumpy cat. But if it DOES, well, how awesome is that? It came out really yeasty tasting but not too bad at all.