Roberts’ book is a bit like a “CliffsNotes” on the Bible; it summarizes the overall plot of Scripture so you don’t lose sight of the forest for all the trees. I actually found one that I am interested in while doing research for this article. We need to be nourished and supplied spiritually by the Word of God - this is our primary need. But the Bible isn’t always easy to understand. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Find out What are the best books to help you understand the Bible, including The Story of Christianity: The Reformation to the Present Day, One Enduring Story: A Basic Guide to Safely Navigating the Biblical Terrain, In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do? They work great for Children and adults alike due to the great illustrations many offers. Please correct them and try again. Well, that is a completely different meaning then we have today. Rhema is the instant, current spoken word. And so for me it’s been comforting, looking at Psalm 23, and seeing he restores, looking at Jeremiah, seeing he restores, and just finding hope in his power to restore.". Included are many interpretations of stories, parables, signs, types and figures from the Bible that can help you understand the Bible. For instance, we are starting to look into some Bible commentaries, but have not used any enough to really give our opinion on them. Some of the most popular versions today are the Life Application Study Bible, MacArthur Study Bible, NLT Study Bible, The Quest Study Bible and The Jeremiah Study Bible. In everything give thanks. She blogs at her website, and you can follow her on Twitter. How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart. and 11 other top answers suggested and ranked by the Softonic Solutions user community in 2019. You are probably wondering how the Bible can help you study the Bible. This brilliant book is a fantastic starting-place for anyone looking to learn how to study the Bible. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. God is larger than the world and, at the same time, is active in it and in our lives. Scot is a friend of mine and I reckon this book is Scot’s best and it will prove to be a classic. The King Jesus Gospel by Scot McKnight That really goes for anything everyone is biased to their personal beliefs so they may only show you one side of a story. Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith, God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation, What the Torah Teaches Us about Spirituality: Through Isaac's Own Spiritual Journey, 5 Hebrew Words that Every Christian Should Know, God's Promises For You: Divine Promises and Affirmations For Your Success, All-round Prosperity and Total Well-being, Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up, Sacred Marriage: Celebrating Marriage as a Spiritual Discipline, God's Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible, Unspoken: Bathsheba (Lineage of Grace, #4), According to Plan: The unfolding revelation of God in the Bible. And our job is to search for him, to set our hearts and minds on him—to give thanks in everything. If you want to go even deeper, I’ll give a couple of “honorable mentions” below. The Case for Christmas Online Bible Study is only 4 weeks long and will last November 30- January 1. 5 Books to Help You Read Through the Bible, Bible Verses for the International Days of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. There’s a difference between evangelical gospel presentations and the biblical gospel. But when his personal life spun into chaos, he was forced to face the buried impact of the unhealed wounds—sexual abuse, physical trauma, addiction, and depression—t... Verse of the Day: "For this reason we have not stopped praying for you since the day we heard about you. The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations by Michael Holmes The Bible says that it is milk, food, sweeter than honey and that we should eat the words. If you’ve ever tried to read through the entire Bible and gotten lost or stuck because you couldn’t figure out where it was all going, this is the book for you. ( Log Out /  You’ll learn how the gospel relates to the biblical storyline—no, you can’t jump from Genesis 3 to Matthew 1—and how the gospel is about Jesus as Messiah and Lord. This brilliant book is a fantastic starting-place for anyone looking to learn how to study the Bible. Not only will it help you understand the tough passages of Scripture, but it will also prepare you to engage many of the questions non-believers are currently raising about the Bible. The best thing is you really don’t have to by another Bible either. He and his wife, Abby, have three adult children. ( Log Out /  Sensible exegete, sober theological comments, attention to detail, and easy to read. Frank Thielman is the Presbyterian Professor of Divinity at Beeson Divinity School, where he has taught New Testament and Greek since 1989. We ask ⌞God⌟ to fill you with the knowledge of his will through every kind of spiritual wisdom and insight. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Be inspired by Biblical stories of gratitude and grace. If there are other Bible study books you’ve found especially helpful that weren’t on this list, by all means share them in the comments! You can find a version of it on Amazon here. Even now, with 10+ years of theological higher education under my belt, I have to be honest and say even I still sometimes get intimidated! And so for me it’s been comforting, looking at Psalm 23, and seeing he restores, looking at Jeremiah, seeing he restores, and just finding hope in his power to restore." Thank you for your interest in our books. You can learn how it was used in the Old Testament and then head into how Jesus prayed in the New Testament. Enter your email address to stay up-to-date with new content! So take a deep breath. The words in the Bible contain spirit and life, and they can be food to us as the rhema word. all come together to tell the one story of God’s plan for the world. The Throne, the Lamb & the Dragon: A Reader’s Guide to the Book of Revelation by Paul Spilsbury. You must have a goodreads account to vote. Get updates from Euangelion delivered straight to your inbox. Romans 1998 edition by Thomas R. Schreiner Within those topics he covers the big picture and different Bible translations just to name a couple of topics. It opened my eyes to a whole new way of reading the Gospels, not just the hors d’oeuvres ahead of Paul. Bible Gateway asked him for the five books he would recommend to help people when they’re reading through the Bible. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. 1. If you’re already fairly familiar with the Bible but want to go deeper in interpretation, you’ll enjoy this one. If it all seems tough to understand at first, just remember: that’s to be expected, because the Bible is about something much bigger than our limited understanding or experiences. So, for the love of Martha, buy a copy of the 1998 edition before it goes out of print! By reading through our books in a sequential order you will learn about the Bible and the key points. Here’s his reply. Through a lot of research and reading some not so great books. We shall now consider some very helpful Bible study books: 1. When “Integration from Within” Doesn’t Work.