Blessed and pinned to my SquidAngel board. Cover the pot and bring the seasioned water to a strong boil. Take your time and do not pull in the line too quickly, or the crab will let go and swim away. Thanks.

As described in your lens, they require little work to catch but it does take a lot of Blue crab for a decent meal. Great lens on one of my favorite summer past times! The pointed underside identifies this crab as a male. The answer key is below. Mud Crabs as Bait. Serve with lemon wedges. Baiting crabs is as simple as tying a piece of raw chicken to a weighted line, tossing it into the water to drift down and along the bottom. Mudcrab nests can be encountered in Hew's Bane.

I've never heard of blue crabs before. I just wish they grew bigger. I applaud your good work .Myself, having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, I prefer Dungenous crab to Blue. We had fresh crab almost every weekend.

However, living on the Texas gulf coast now days though, I have learned to eat the native crab.

These are also effective baits, but can be messy and a little harder to obtain.

Now, I didn't know crabs had flippers, so you have fascinated me once again!

Blue crabs inhabit tidal mud flats of rivers and bays, moving into the shallows with the incoming tides to feed in marshy areas and then back to deeper water as the tide recedes. Shape approximately 1/3 cup of the crab cake mixture into a patty.

And how to cook them! Blue crabs inhabit tidal mud flats of rivers and bays, moving into the shallows with the incoming tides to feed in marshy areas and then back to deeper water as the tide recedes.

Remove the crabs from the pot and let them cool completely. Have never tried catching crabs, but this sounds like fun (and work, too!). Now I think I'd love to go crabbing.

I'd like to come over to the US on vacation and do various outdoorsy things such as this. For this reason, it is … Really appreciate having your mom's recipe. Monica Lobenstein from Western Wisconsin on June 22, 2012: This sounds like great fun!

Lorelei Cohen from Canada on July 12, 2012: It seems that the last update bumped off my likes from your lenses so I am lucky enough to get to like your wonderful blue claw crabs again. It is amazing what I learn from visiting the many other lensmasters here at Squidoo. I would like to try catching some blue crabs and educating my kids a little more now that you have educated me some.

Too bad you didn't include a picture of the male and female markings to really show people what they look like and ensure that they'll throw the females back.

The classic way to prepare blue claw crabs is to simply boil the crabs in seasoned water. Bring the water back to full rolling boil, cooking the crabs for 15 to 20 minutes and until the shells turn red. My wife and I like to drift through the salt marsh in our canoe and scoop up the blue crabs with dip nets. Catching blue crabs is easy, either in specialty crab traps or with a hand line and dip net, and crabs can be caught either from the shoreline or from a boat. Let stand and cool for two minutes. Sure do appreciate them in crab cakes!

Pickled crabs in..#145416615 - Steamed Black Crab or Serrated Mud Crab on plate, focus selective.#147646214 - Chili Paste Soya Beans with minced Pork and Mud Crab in Coconut..#131590403 - A mangrove vegetation eco system by the ocean#107009634 - Fresh mud crab on blue basket in market#102504160 - Mangrove crab feeding on mudflats during low tide. Remove the crabs from stock pot with the tongs or by lifting out the steamer basket, and allow the crabs to cool completely before eating, or use the meat for other crab dishes such as my Mother's crab cake recipe!

Most mudcrabs are non-hostile but will defend themselves if attacked.

:). At 4 years old, I knew how to dip that sweet crab meat in butter and suck on the legs like a straw. Turn, and cook on the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes. They are also available as pets. How to Catch Blue Crabs. Now I know how to catch and cook them. I do love eating them. The bony chicken parts give weight to the bait so that ir will sink, and the bones make it more difficult for the crabs to tear the bait into pieces.

They are fun to catch, and catching blue crabs does not require a lot of skill or expensive equipment. I've never tried to catch a blue claw crab.

Thank you for passing this knowledge on to others! Blue crabs are found in tidal waters and coastal tributaries from New England down the coast to Florida and around to the Gulf of Mexico.

With a little practice, this hand lining technique can net a basket of blue crabs. Steamed crabs are my favorite! Thanks for sharing. Wow the memories are flooding back. Push the crab down into the water before adding the next crab. For each question, choose the best answer. We used to go crabbing every time we were near the water. The weight of the bone is usually enough to carry the bait down to the river bottom without needing to add a sinker.

Keep your captured blue crabs in a basket or empty bucket (a wooden bushel fruit basket works great), out of the sun and under a damp rag.

I am from Alaska and love these crabbies. I grew up on the NJ shore in a town called Mystic Island where I caught crabs all summer long every year. I think I'm just going to have to break down one day and buy some crab so I can try your Mom's crab cake recipe! It taste delicious. Using collapsible crab traps is another method for catching blue crabs, especially from bridges and piers that are too high above the water to reach safely with a dip net. Good article. A large female blue crab can lay up to 8 million eggs. Spicy Boiled Crabs with Shrimp, Potatoes, Corn and Garlic, Basket for holding captured Blue Claw Crabs, It's impossible to tell the difference between male and female crabs, 4 to 5 slices of firm white bread with the crust removed and torn into pieces.

Thanks for sharing this interesting lens. Once locked on, a claw will remain in a vice-like grip even if it’s been detached from the animal. This is exactly what I was searching for this morning. Love 'em! Blue crabs are most active during the incoming and outgoing tides, especially in the early morning and in the late afternoon. I used to go crabbing as a kid almost every day.

I think I would go with the steam method since you mention it lets the sweetness of the meat shine through. Catching blue crabs is easy, either in specialty crab traps or with a hand line and dip net, and crabs can be caught either from the shoreline or from a boat. :). Coral Crab, a variation of Mudcrabs found in Summerset; Grotto Mudcrab Swarmer Minions, summoned by Clatterclaw in combat . Rivers and creeks with muddy bottoms and a slowly moving current are production shoreline locations for finding crabs. Blue crabs are scavengers, and any crab in the area will quickly find the bait. Skim the foam of the top and discard. Juvenile Coral Crab, found on Wasten Coraldale; Swarming Mudcrabs, summoned by Clatterclaw; Prodigious Mudcrab, found on Khenarthi's Roost; Titanclaw's Mudcrab, mudcrabs spawned by Titanclaw; Gallery . In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, egg, shallots, parsley, lemon juice, mustard and red pepper flakes. A good afternoon of crabbing with the kids can provide enough crabs for a tasty dinner. Mud crabs, as their lifestyle suggests, are hearty baits that will remain alive on the hook for a decent duration. Chop the bread in a food processor, reducing the pieces to fine breadcrumbs. Love it! I wouldn't want to clean them but would love eating them!

Impress your friends and family with a big seafood dinner they’ll be sure to love!

Now I'm starving -- and I want some Blue Crabs to eat!

Slowly and gently, pull the hand line back towards you.

Check with your state for health advisories, local rules and regulations regarding the fishing season, size requirements, catch limits and other restrictions for catching and eating blue crabs.

Wednesday-Elf from Savannah, Georgia on January 15, 2013: When one loves crab, one should not read recipes about them right before dinnertime.

Looks like you know your blue crab. Check the line frequently, feeling for the tugs from a feeding crab. A brown mudcrab. Lorelei Cohen from Canada on January 11, 2013: Ah blue crabs. Love the lens! Peggy Hazelwood from Desert Southwest, U.S.A. on June 20, 2012: Yum, they look tasty! In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp of the clarified butter and 2 tbsp of oil. A …

A crab that is ready to molt is known as a 'shedder' or a 'peeler'. Using tongs, add the live crabs to the pot, one at a time. Your chicken bone bait tip is priceless. And by the way, I love your articles, they are always top notch.

This is a wonderful lens!

This page was last modified on 20 October 2020, at 19:10. I've never had blue claw crab, only snow crab and we used to have king crab for Christmas years ago.