Did you enjoy this piece? I told you I was addicted to blood oranges this week (check out my Blood Orange Margarita from yesterday) and I still have more blood orange recipes on my mind but think I’ll save them until next year so you all don’t think I’ve lost my mind. Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Fermentation, Black excellence, Pok Pok closes, persimmons, Halloween candy, comfort food, spirit-free drinks, vegetarian meals, Smells and flavors, tortilla winner, pizza at the polls. Thank you! It is even a pat-in crust that may be a good fit for bakers that don't care to use a rolling pin. Created by: Little Feet in the Kitchen Cooking School, Crust: Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer. My students, age 6-12, and I made a delicious batch of blood orange curd  during cooking camp and had the idea of turning it into a blood orange curd meringue pie with dark chocolate shavings. I hope you enjoy them! 4 egg whites at room temperature Blood orange blossom and pomegranate cake. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from 1 of the oranges, being careful to avoid the white pith. Directions. Many curd recipes call for egg yolks only, but I stole a page from Ina Garten and used whole eggs. Author reserves the right to modify blogs for typos and modifications. And pulse to mince. 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour Associates Program. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Remove from heat and cool or refrigerate. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Purchases through these links help support this blog at no additional cost to you. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is a light golden brown. However, even with the best intentions this uncommon pie just turned out unusual. ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces Pour filling into cooled piecrust. Let cool and then refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. Welcome to her journey! Blood Orange Curd Meringue Pie with Shaved Dark Chocolate When you are patting it in, it tends to be extremely sticky; so I used a little bit of cooking spray on my fingertips to help with that. What could a Biden administration mean for homelessness in LA? Blood Orange Curd Filling: Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 8-10 minutes until sugar has dissolved and mixture has thickened. Refrigerate dough for 45 minutes. Many curd recipes call for egg yolks only, but I stole a page from Ina Garten and used whole eggs. If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. They devoured the pie, and a new recipe was born. I would love to have someone share their end result of this pie, or if someone has made this type of pie to leave a comment below. **Lower oven temp to 350 degrees (to bake meringue pie in). Happy Baking! © 2020 KCRW All Rights Reserved. As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the. Each pie was made in the year 2014. PIE-A-DAY #34. Beat egg whites with whisk attachment until soft peaks form. That Recipe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC. You can make this with other citrus fruit, but you may want to increase the sugar a bit. Did you know that blood oranges are in season? Not that separating eggs is hard, but one less step is always a bonus. And it is so easy to make at home. Take pie out of oven, let cool for at least ten minutes. Blood orange olive oil cake . Blood Orange Curd Pie - Week 3 Blood Oranges to brighten your January in a pie produces a different result. I always want cake…. My students, age 6-12, and I made a delicious batch of blood orange curd during cooking camp and had the idea of turning it into a blood orange curd meringue pie with dark chocolate shavings. I can't say that this would ever be a favorite of mine, but I think if the cooking method was perfected it would be pretty tasty. Cook the curd, stirring constantly with spatula, for about 10 minutes until it starts to thicken and coats the spatula being careful for it not to curdle. Your email address will not be published. David Lynch Theater Presents: Weather Report for November 12, 2020, David Lynch Theater Presents: Weather Report, Nithya Raman on progressive values and change for LA. Required fields are marked *. 3 Tablespoon cornstarch In honor of Pie-a-Day, she baked a pie with her campers. Add the butter and pulse to combine. Spread meringue over the top of the blood orange curd filling, making sure that the entire top of the pie is covered. Meringue And, it produced 2 completely different results. This is what is required to be a host of Tasty Tuesday parties: You are committing to posting every Tuesday at 8 am EST a recipe post (either a recipe, a round-up of recipes, or features from the previous party) and pinning 25 recipes that are linked up to this party to our Tasty Tuesday’s board. Each week will feature a new Pie of the week. My husband actually liked the first one, but agreed the crust was burnt.