It has a deep umami flavor that is similar to soy sauce, but different in flavor and even richer. Ribs with black bean sauce takes a little bit of time to get tender, succulent, fall-off-the-bone meat, but it’s very easy to make, and the first step can be done ahead of time! New! Specializes in all things traditional Cantonese and American Chinese takeout. I’ll need to try it out soon. Asian Black Bean Marinade. Check out my Recipe Index, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and sign up for FREE email newsletter. Add black beans, onion, and garlic into a food processor. If it’s too thick, add a little splash of water. Thank you so much for your blog and recipes! I used tons of goodies in this one and hopefully it lives up to your daughter’s standard Happy cooking and let me know how the dish turns out! I LOVE black beans and grew up eating them in just about everything when growing up in NYC’s Chinatown. Brilliant recipe! And wow! Then drain, allow them to cool, and freeze portions of the ribs along with the pork stock freezer bags and/or storage containers. I make a full recipe and have much left over. I only use this step to infuse more aroma to the sauce. The recipe states 2 weeks to a month… :O), Another fascinating sauce recipe… I love using black bean sauce and, of course, had no idea I could make my own.. Just before serving, fold in avocado and season with salt to taste. I just wander how would you feel about leaving the onion out? Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a high heat then add the steak, frying for 3-5 mins or … Position a damp dish towel underneath the cutting board to create an anti-slip surface. You can find them in, And pour the pork stock (the liquid you boiled the ribs in) through a, Make sure the cornstarch is evenly mixed with the water, and pour in the slurry. So good! You can use any pork ribs for this dish––boneless country ribs, baby back ribs, or St. Louis-style ribs. Its easy and delicious! The food is SO GOOD (best Spanish omelete, it has runny eggs inside). Black bean sauce uses fermented dried black beans, which give the sauce a sharp, spicy, and slightly sweet taste, along with aromatic ingredients like garlic and ginger. Thank you. But, I did leave out the chili. By the end of the 40 minutes, the liquid will have reduced quite a bit. Use whole pieces for grilling or baking. Thank you! Thank you… :O), You’re the most welcome! once the paste is made, do i add its to food or how do u then make the sauce…sorry stupid question. Recipe by Abby Girl. Toss in the chopped scallions, and serve with rice. I Love, love, love this recipe! The pork released a little more liquid so I used a bit more corn flour since we love sauce. purchase the fermented black beans online, Fish with Black Bean Sauce (Steamed and Baked Versions), Vegetarian Oyster Sauce (Vegan Stir Fry Sauce), Instant Pot Pork Chops with Black Bean Sauce, Stir Fried Chicken with Black Bean Sauce (豉汁干葱爆鸡球), Grilled Chicken Breast with Black Bean Sauce, Vegetable Udon Stir Fry (Veggie Yaki Udon), http://omnivorescookbook.com/homemade-zha-jiang-mian-fried-sauce-noodles/, http://omnivorescookbook.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/, https://themalamarket.com/collections/all/products/sichuan-sweet-wheat-paste-tian-mian-jiang?aff=2, https://omnivorescookbook.com/chinese-greens/, https://themalamarket.com/collections/all/products/fermented-black-beans-douchi?aff=2, Sui Mi Ya Cai (碎米芽菜, Preserved Mustard Greens). Try easydelicious.recipes. Dear Maggie, thank you for your work. You can view it as soy sauce alternative, only more flavorful. I LOVE your site! You can add more after cooking as well. Serve the stir-fry in deep bowls with mounds of sticky rice and top with coriander, if you like. Stir until you smell the aroma of the black beans, then transfer the yong tow foo into the skillet. Hi, I really appreciate your site. My father in law is a big fan of steak black bean sauce so I gave it a crack. To learn how to use Black Bean Sauce now, go to: If you give this recipe a try, let us know! The black beans in “black bean sauce” aren’t the black beans you’d find in a can from the supermarket. They have two outdoor tables so if you want some booze and small bites, it’s perfect. Instead of using fish paste as a filling, what are the other options of meat fillings that can be used instead for this recipe? Ginger is not a must-have ingredient, but if you happen to have it on hand, definitely use it. I really have to use the pressure cooker more often ;-). Add the onion and peppers to the pan and fry for 6-7 mins or until beginning to soften. Back home in Penang, I would just buy the freshly made yong tow foo at the wet market and then cook them in either bean sauce or in soups. It’s only 5 to 6 peppers, torn apart. Hi Zoe, this sauce is freezable. Should I add more oil (in the storage jar) to make it look like your photo? And I like to try out new things. Hi Maggie, I live in Lancashire England, My daughter absolutely loves beef and blackbean sauce but only from the Chinese takeaways! You can use the sauce for cooking, as a marinade, a dipping sauce, or you can use it to make noodle salad. The fermented black beans are quite starchy, so the sauce will thicken eventually. Good recipe but the ribs were not tender enough. Stir to allow the sauce to thicken. We haven’t done the black bean sauce but I made it this morning from your recipe and it is AMAZING! Depending on the cooking time, the black beans might have absorbed more oil. You will need 3 to 4 tablespoons sauce. It’s so simple and GOOD! But the main base of jajangmeon should still be sweet bean paste (made from wheat flour and sugar). It lasts a long time in an airtight container in the fridge too.