You don’t have to get a clunking great pair of heavy workman-style boots. from $560.00 USD. Hand woven gho sethra which means yellow patterns in local language. The remaining Tshering Penjor said that the rachu They fit their purpose, and I only really needed to wear them in the early mornings just to make sure I didn’t get frostbite! Gho | Bhutan’s men’s wear national dress. I was incredibly happy with this purchase and if you are heading to Bhutan in Autumn or Winter then I’d say that this is an especially worthwhile investment. If you are tying in your Bhutanese adventure with a trip to neighboring Tibet or Nepal, then you can absolutely pick up some warm clothing at low prices in Kathmandu (Nepal) and Lhasa (Tibet) where there are several stores to cater to the countless trekkers that pass through. Bhutan Traditional Dress – National Costume Bhutan – the kingdom of “Thunder Dragon” is widely known for the majestic landscapes and vibrant culture. Penjor said that he did an intensive research on the particular tradition I think that a lot of people hear “Himalayas” and assume that they are going to have to spend a small fortune on super high tech hiking gear but that really isn’t necessary. century Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal assigned different coloured kabneys for should be approximately 10 spans and the breadth should be one and a half "The adang rachu should be worn so that The woman’s kera is an ankle length dress. For every day in Bhutan, I had a jam-packed schedule in order to make the most of my time. The kira is first draped around the back under the right arm. 10 Reasons Why Bhutan Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List. The Bhutanese opt for a formal approach to dress, typically wearing the traditional dress (“Kho” for men and “Kira” for women on a daily basis). The climate in Bhutan can vary a lot depending on both the season and the specific altitude of where you are travelling. These soft-shell trousers were incredibly comfy and perfectly suited for hiking since they were weather resistant. I simply picked these up from H&M for just a couple of dollars. Wrap it around the right shoulder, and fastened with a second koma. A toego (jacket) is often worn with the kira, and the sleeves of the wanju(blouse) can be folded back over the toego to form cuffs. Invaluable information, Melissa. All Rights Reserved. 4. different designations," he said. - Druk Wangyal Khangzang Chhortens, HM Queen Ashi Tshering Pem Wangchuck and Princess Ashi Chimi Yangzom, Women graduates practise wearing the rachu around the shoulders, Contributed I’d recommend taking a pair of sunglasses with you even if you are travelling to Bhutan in the winter months. that it was widely practiced during the reign of the first and second Kings. cloth is gathered under the left arm and wrapped around the back to the Bhutan’s culture is very much alive and expressed in everything, including the traditional clothing its people have been wearing for centuries. Written very well .It will help us to understand what to take with us while traveling Bhutan. Because I travelled to Bhutan in December, it was important for me to have hiking socks that were thick and warm, however, if you are travelling during the peak summer months, you are going to need a more lightweight and breathable option. it was more comfortable when bowing. Traveling in Bhutan during the winter months means experiencing temperatures that may fall below zero, especially in the early mornings and evenings. I personally didn’t take hiking poles with me on my trip but I’m putting this here for your consideration as there’s an element of personal preference involved. ). Whether you choose to focus your itinerary on trekking or on cultural experiences, chances are that you will be embarking on a hike or two (if you don’t hike the Tiger’s Nest, did you even go to Bhutan?!). while bowing the inside of the rachu will show patterns, and is not plain," Depending on the specific time of year that you are travelling, temperatures can dip quite low in the evenings and reach temperatures of around -10 at night. The two come affixed but the second set of zips inside the jacket makes it easy to unzip and separate them. In the mornings, I’d wear the two affixed together, and in the day time, I’d remove the outer layer (unless it rained) and keep the fleece jacket on.