But not to despair, oh the proponents of free speech. A few helicopters buzzed high above us. People on the other side didn’t wear helmets. There was some protesting going on, here and there. Another OaklandWiki page can help you figure out why there might be helicopters by figuring out which one(s) you’re seeing: Identifying Helicopters You Might See in Oakland. A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter made an emergency landing in Berkeley on Saturday, citing mechanical issues, authorities report. (from OPD scanner). This guy in a bandana, with a skateboard under his arm, said he came because he has a baby cousin and also if he has kids one day, what is he going to tell them? Unknown Description or Reason. Protesters forced the cancellation of far right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos’ planned talk at UC Berkeley’s MLK Student Union. Downtown Berkeley: Helicopter going in circles since 20 minutes over downtown Berkeley… Unknown description or reason in local news: 2015-05-18: 12:00 am: W. Berkeley: Helicopters and sirens. Now that it’s back you think if it’s flying it must be riots or protest. Police searching for armed robbery suspects, Helicopter going in circles since 20 minutes over downtown Berkeley… Unknown description or reason in local news. Pursuit of motorcyclist w/ damaged headlight spotted doing 55+ down Park Blvd towards Lake Merritt/downtown. A few helicopters buzzed high above us. over Rockridge station to monitor, over 580 or MacArthur BLVD. Here since at least 1930. Demonstration related to Freddie Gray death and funeral in Baltimore. You can even check what news helicopter is flying now. (It’s OK if you don’t know it; someone else may add that information.). A local resident who has regularly chronicled Cesar Chavez Park over the years produced a video about the helicopter that made an emergency landing Saturday at the Berkeley Marina. Police pursuit passed east up Park Bvld towards Mac Arthur 5-10 mins ago. We have our very local, homegrown Berkeley Make-America-Great-Againers. If you live in Oakland, you have probably frequently wondered, “Why do I hear helicopters right now?” It can often be really difficult to answer this question! We needed some air so we decided to take a walk to the campus. I’m at Grand/Broadway downtown. Called police and was told CHP was chasing a stolen car. Heard from my apartment in Downtown, near State and Federal Buildings. At least 2 helicopters filming protests. Channel 7 news chopper; possible water main break on Moraga near Maxwelton in Piedmont; Assault reported at World Academy. However, they did not enunciate very well and we could not understand what they said. Sounds like they were looking for a missing or abducted child. The California Highway Patrol followed a speeding motorist into Berkeley early Tuesday morning and ultimately arrested one person hiding in a backyard, authorities report. Let’s go! Likely. After the cancellation, a group of so-called ‘black bloc’ demonstrators fought and vandalized property in downtown Berkeley. Heard the Helicopters from 15th and Jefferson. A BART train derailed near the Concord stop. or tech shuttle protest? Played recording, 1 OPD chopper, flying in clockwise circle over Davis/San Leandro Blvd roughly; reason unknown, 2 copters, flying way up high. And more free speech. Unknown, The "dogs are going to bite you script" was being broadcasted. Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. House Democrats Demand ICE End New “Binary Choice” Policy Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic, On the Map: Where Military Veterans Choose to Live in and around San Antonio, Texas, There’s No Excuse for Supporting Kamala Harris, America’s Military Is Nostalgic for World Wars. Free Speech Rally. No — April 27. At 0132, they turned towards Grand/Broadway and started making announcements on the megaphone that were unintelligible According, Police helicopter circling with megaphone but we couldn’t make it out. “IT IS NOT ABOUT FREE SPEECH”: PHOTO-ESSAY. Terms of Use | At 2 pm 150–200 people gathered at Martin Luther King park in Berkeley. I live on Adeline & 32nd Street, and they flew over the area for a good hour. Berkeley, CA crime, fire and public safety news and events, police & fire department updates Something about brown hair and maybe a white dress. ==> possible explanation. Let’s go home!” We wondered if they wanted to beat the traffic. 2017. Even the cops were peaceful. Cops lined up in between. Probably police helicopter searching for shooting suspect per. We are new normal!”. Some just asked for change or food. We returned to the park — it was around 4 pm. Protesters forced the cancellation of far right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos’ planned talk at UC Berkeley’s MLK Student Union. Donate to Berkeleyside and support independent local journalism. There were also signs that we understood very well. Scary. UNCONFIRMED: 13th & Center, circled at least 3 times, really close to our house. Helicopter deployed a few minutes after. At 2 pm 150–200 people gathered at Martin Luther King park in Berkeley. I bet it’s the march for, Unidentified helicopter flying over , reg # N75TV, probably a news copter, 3 choppers in a row, headed to America’s Cup races, Grand Lake area of Oakland over to Adams Point, Oakland, While working in downtown, I have seen strings of 3-5 similar choppers flying over Chinatown / downtown in the general direction of Richmond or San Quentin on at least four occasions, but have not been able to get any pix. This was somewhere near Harrington. ”lots of police at 29th & Chestnut, same neighborhood as last week’s shooting. Suspect at large following lockdown of school. Yeah, I know. ABC-7 news chopper; something 4.0 earthquake related? It appears that they. Line of 5 helicopters proceeding toward northwest. 580 fwy betw. 4 alarm brush fire in, Blue helicopter flying in small circle for about 5 minutes, Orange helicopter, not clear why it’s circling (orange is probably ABC. Park Blvd. It wasn’t different from other days in Berkeley. Channel 2 chopper (I think); downed tree on Moraga? I mean, it was a warm day. Somebody associated with Anonymous called for Day of Rage protests starting at 4:00 today in various locations, including Oakland, but it doesn’t seem to be real. Military personnel dispersed. Donate. If there is a large activity, like a protest, you may hear some “Situational Updates” over the Oakland Police Scanner. California. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Livestream from ABC helicopter here: At least 3 helicopters in air monitoring protests. and Lakeshore Avenue exits, Eric Garner protests shut down 880 and West Oakland BART, Oakland protests for Eric Garner decision. Police engage in shootout on I-80 http://theheatmag.com/police-engage-in-shootout-with-a-suspect-in-oakland/, CHP trying to locate someone at 32nd and Telegraph. Didn’t get very close.”. One broadcast a taped loop (not too clear, but suitably Big-Brotherly, a la, Unknown helicopter monitoring barricade situation described by, KTVU helicopter monitoring Urban Shield protest noted by. Channel 2 helicopter, police shooting area. orangish-red is Coast Guard), CHP helicopter “Hot chase of theft suspect in Maxima by. approximately macarthur and fruitvale, maybe over 580? Oakland PD took over investigation from CHP. 81-year-old woman shot in shoulder, 4100 block of Laguna, Shooting in front of Walgreen’s on High Street. Enter the date you heard the chopper(s), and the reason. Traffic sucks in the Bay Area. That he zieg-heiled? RevCom USA Stop Police Murder Protests. Identifying Helicopters You Might See in Oakland, May Day Stop Police Brutality Port Shutdown, CHP Motorcycle Officer struck by car in W. Oakland, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=795287733849270, http://www.snopes.com/info/news/dayofrage.asp, Possibly the DUI/crash that has Tunnel Road closed, https://twitter.com/nataliealund/status/467363410263302144, Unknown, current theories include a hostage situation on Adeline as well as a possible manhunt for a sex offender. They don’t know why the helicopters are in the air, but it may be related to the previous shootings tonight. BART equipment problems causing massive delays? Car was shot on I-580, and victim abandoned car and walked to Highland Hospital. Helicopter with a bright searchlight kept circling the area of 32nd Street, from Chestnut through Peralta. Learn more | The streets seemed fairly quiet, so I have no idea why. Helicopters and sirens. Unknown reason or description; heard from the 15th and Jefferson via State Building. Bravely, they lined up a street in front of a high school. It’s a long day: a drive, speeches, press… and it might be really hot in this gear. 5) View its live flightpath right now. We got a great divide. Helicopters flying in general vicinity of Downtown; => port protest? Some screamed about “babies being killed” (it was not quite clear what particular babies but we felt sad); some proclaimed their undying faith in god (not clear in what particular god but you take your pick.) or maybe just traffic? Privacy Policy | Speaker instructing people to go inside their homes. News about Helicopters in Berkeley, California. 15 mins. Circling for approx.