When did she move to Dallas? S1: Have you made many friends here? Students are encouraged to write a paragraph using the present perfect to describe actions that they have started in the past and they are still doing in the present. There was a time when the current changes in my career and financial security, and transitions around my relationships and their healing, would have completely freaked me out. How does it behave? In other words, there must be a space for incoming gifts before you are available to receive. If I keep my attention on the place where my feet reside, I have a better chance of remaining in the here and now. (Collaborative learning) Time: 5 minutes; interactive patterns: S-S. I get to forgive the past and embrace the now. T: Very good. Or maybe I’m having a conversation with a client who isn’t even there, about how angry I am that they don’t pay me on time or respond to my emails about their invoice. Imagine that you were the boy's mum. Would a man try to get a woman’s attention that he like? Time: 5 minutes; interactive patterns T-S Aids: cards with past participle verbs. We call this tense the present perfect. Step 1: Warm up Aim: review the use of the simple past tense (actions that finished in a definite time in the past as in I went to Cuba in 1999. Each pair records the action verbs discussed and shares their findings with the class. If not, make sure you guide them toward that answer.) I would have blamed everyone and everything for all the things that did not go my way or turn out the way I thought best. Students have to substitute the new verb: I have danced salsa for two years Give students different prompts (verbs, or time references) alternatively. Step 5: Mechanical practice Aim: identify the verbs in the past participle through a matching activity. Categorize their answers under the following headings: have lived for five years have (always) loved always have learned since I was in high school. T: Correct. Watch this delightful short film with your children and try some of our suggested teaching ideas and classroom activities. Think of some questions that you would like to ask the creators of this animation. In high school. Focus on the action verbs and the time references. Introduction. But, did she live in another country before? Sending Love to Everyone Who’s Doing Their Best to Heal…, How to Stop Obsessing Over What Other People Think of You, Tiny Buddha’s New Mindfulness Kit: Less Stress, More Peace, How to Stop Over-Apologizing, From a Lifelong Over-Apologizer, 14 Daily Happiness Habits to Adopt Right Now, How to Set Healthy Boundaries and Protect Your Space and Energy. Have students repeat: I have lived in Dallas for five years. This helps me put my life into perspective and allows me to move from a victim place to the victor in every situation. 1- Where is Amira living now? One of my favorite sayings is this: “Courage is not having no fear at all, but it’s feeling the fear and doing it anyway.”. Most of us know this in our heads, but integrating it into our daily living is another thing. With this kind of awareness I can see how I continue to carry heaviness with me from the past, allowing it to project fear and suffering into my future. Write a new story about an adventure that the two friends have together next. As soon as I begin to feel bad or caught up in how I want things to turn out, I find my feet and begin again. Could you choose a different song to accompany the credits? I had a great time there.) Share it here! Step 6: Mechanical practice Aim: practicing fluency with a substitutional drill. That means that she moved to Dallas 5 years ago. Listen: Amira has lived in Dallas for 5 years. When I look beyond my petty resentments, I become aware of the fear, shame, disappointment, and pain that lie at the root of each grudge. Guide them if they have not found all of the verbs or time references. There is great freedom, wonder, and mystery in the present. Aim: The students write a paragraph in a less-controlled way using the present perfect tense with the function they have learned in this lesson. Cleanse, clear, release, and in your emptiness you shall be filled with good. This TESOL lesson plan integrates a grammar lesson with speaking and writing skills. Then, change the time reference, for example: for two years. Have you made a great resource? 60 minutes Assumptions: Students are familiar with the present simple tense and the past simple tense as well as the most common regular and irregular verb forms in the past (go-went; be- was/were; stay- stayed); students are familiar with different types of sentences (affirmative, interrogative and negative) in the tenses mentioned above. Click here to read more. Get students’ answers. These thoughts distract me from being in the here and now. I would have been too fearful to fully embrace the slow unraveling of my vision. S: Yes. Time lines are good to show time periods visually). Pause the video at different points and think of some speech / thought bubbles that you could add to each frame of the animation. Surrender to your higher knowing within. I have learned English since I was in high school. S: Yes. (Question) S: Has she met nice people? Use phrases and quotes each day and ask children to make up their own! Let go of your perceptions of the facts and just let everything be as it may. What does it mean to be disabled? GET MORE FUN & INSPIRING IMAGES & VIDEOS. S2: Yes. A simple reward system for younger students. Listen to the film's soundtrack without looking at the picture. You see, anger, resentment, fear, jealously, envy, worry, doubt, mistrusting—these are all things that can feel very real to us at the time we are experiencing them. Rewrite the story in the form of a narrative. Introduce the text and tell the students that they have to read it and find the answers to the questions below (at this point, do not mention the new tense or the adverbs that they will be discussing later). Create a persuasive poster to raise awareness of different types of animal cruelty. Review the use of the simple past and the function of talking about actions that finished at a specific time in the past. Could you create your own comic strip that retells this story? T: Did she like learning English in the past? Suffering is not in the fact but in our perception of the fact. Find out about the Paralympics and investigate the achievements of athletes with disabilities. I am from Venezuela, but I live in Dallas. Ask the students to identify if the verbs they used in the activity were regular or irregular past verbs. Once the cards are matched, student A has to say the simple past out loud while student B says the corresponding past participle form. I have always loved the English language. Write your own story with the title 'The Present'. Then, students will pick the activity they prefer the most and share it with the class. When my ego starts convincing me that I am not attractive enough, smart enough, or good enough, I remember these are not reality. I have not made many friends. Can it be reproduced without the dialogue but maintaining the sound effects? © Teaching Ideas 1998-2020 Erin is an Internationally Certified Life Coach, Yoga Instructor, and Motivational Writer and Speaker. Visit her blog  and  You Tube Page. Time: 5 minutes; interactive patterns T-S Aids: cards with past participle verbs. How might he respond? What questions would you ask him? Use these videos as the starting point for learning in your classroom! Learn how your comment data is processed. ), Step 4: Checking comprehension Aims: Students find the verb phrases and time references by themselves. (went- gone). Join our email newsletter to receive free updates! I have lived here for ten years. Time: Approx. It’s a practice, one that must remain a part of our awareness if we hope to be released from suffering. All these thoughts are filled with judgment, and by living in them over and over again, I continue to attract more of them. What junk is taking up space in your filing cabinets or kitchen drawers? Choose one of the cards, and make a sentence. Step 7: Mechanical practice Aim: practicing different types of sentences with a transformational drill. These feelings would fuel a lack of faith and trust that would carry over into the next day and the next. This lesson is all about creativity and innovation. Why? Explain the use of the present perfect tense making reference to the time line to help the students grasp the concept. Lately, I am becoming aware much sooner and quicker when this happens. Save $1000! Time: 20 minutes; interactive pattern: individual work; group work. S: (They may come up with 5 years ago, as they are familiar with the simple past tense and the adverbs in the past time. I have met so many nice people. Imagine that you could interview the boy. Students will focus on using the past simple and present perfect. So the cycle would continue, over and over, until I broke the pattern and instead began to look around in awareness. Rewrite the story in the form of a narrative. As I begin each day, I must remind myself, “Erin, stay where your feet are.” If I keep my attention on the place where my feet reside, I have a better chance of remaining in the here and now. She likes it very much). (Write the function on the board. Write a set of instructions to teach people how to look after a pet. Do you know? How do you know? What clothes and shoes are cluttering your closet that you haven‘t worn in over a year? My past became my proof that things never worked out in my favor, and that gave me the justification I needed to doubt and mistrust everyone and everything.