Trim excess fat from beef and cut into 3cm pieces. A tasty beef casserole that you can cook in the oven and leave to its own devices for 3 hours while you get on with your day. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. My favourite thing about this time of the year is the food. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. www.slowcookercentral.com/recipe/slow-cooked-beef-and-red-wine-casserole Stir in the stock, wine and tomatoes and add the bay leaf and mixed herbs. Toss beef in flour to coat lightly. The juices should now be nicely thickened and the meat really tender. Add butter, milk and shallots then mash until smooth. Set aside the seared meat on a plate and repeat with the remaining meat. Meanwhile, place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Place the beef in a flameproof casserole dish with the garlic, carrots, leeks and celery. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Layers of seasoned ground beef, corn, tortilla chips and cheese are baked under a layer of Colby cheese. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves and serve with creamy mashed potatoes. One is the quantity of red wine. Total Carbohydrate scrape the bottom of the dish with a wooden flat spatula so as to get all the meat and veg residue mixed into the liquid. Some other Traditional Cooking Recipes you may enjoy, More Traditional Cooking Recipes Recipes in our Traditional Cooking Section, Cookbooks not only make a perfect addition to any kitchen, they also make great gifts that would be treasured for a lifetime, Kitchen and Cooking AccessoriesChristmas Gift Ideas, As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Serve with casserole and sprinkle with parsley. Season with salt and pepper. A simple meal to whip up in less than an hour that even the kids are sure to love. There are a few components of this stew that are important to note. Just cover the bottom of a casserole dish (one with a lid)with some oil and butter, place over a medium heat. Delicious hearty casserole that's quick and easy to make. (You may want to do this in 2 batches), sear the meat on all sides until nice and brown and there is no flour showing. Combine flour and paprika. Remove beef from pan and set aside. Drain. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large heatproof casserole dish. Bring to the boil. Cook beef in batches, until well browned, adding more oil as required. A warming Beef and Red Wine Casserole that’s rich and comforting. After 3 hours cooking, remove the lid, taste for seasoning and cookout for another 1 hour. washed, de-strung and cut into thick pieces, leave 1 whole and strip the leaves from the other, 2 stock cubes in 600 ml of boiling water, works). Season with salt and pepper. Monterey Jack is also good in place of the Colby cheese. I have made recipes for stew that call for an entire bottle of wine, and although that is good, I think it becomes overpowering, and to be honest I would rather have that wine … The ultimate easy winter warmer. Cook beef in batches, until well browned, adding more oil as required. Toss beef in flour to coat lightly. Return beef to pan. Cover tightly and transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for 2 - 2½ hours or until the beef is meltingly tender. Bring to the boil. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beef-red-wine-melting-onions Bring to the boil, cover with the lid, and place in the oven and forget it for 3 hours. Remove beef from pan and set aside. (Uncovered). Perfect with creamy mash on a cold, dark evening. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 mins or until tender. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large heatproof casserole dish. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 mins or until tender. In a bowl, mix the flour, mustard powder salt and pepper together and throw in the beef, covering well with the flour mix, Shake any excess flour off with your hands and add to the heated oil and butter. Add the mushrooms, garlic and wine, bring to a simmer and cookout for 3-4 minutes. Once all the meat has been seared and placed on a plate, add the onions, carrot and celery, to the casserole and let the veg cook out for about 10 minutes stirring regularly to achieve an even cook, replace the meat into the casserole add the tomato puree bay leaves and thyme sprig and combine well with the meat and veg. Once all the meat has been seared and placed on a plate, add the onions, carrot and celery, to the casserole and let the veg cook out for about 10 minutes stirring regularly to achieve an even cook replace the meat into the casserole add the tomato puree bay leaves and thyme sprig and combine well with the meat and veg Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until meat is very tender. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 mins or until tender. Basic beef and red wine casserole Nutrition 2591 kjEnergy 30gFat Total 9gSaturated Fat 6gFibre 63gProtein 181mgCholesterol 1116 18mgSodium 10gCarbs sugar 16gCarbs total All nutrition values are per serve Nutrition and Allergy InformationLow carb Lower gi High protein Gluten allergy Soy. 14 %. Add the Worcestershire sauce and gradually pour in the stock stirring continuously until everything is well combined. 42.7 g Return beef to pan. Bring to boil over a high heat. Season well and bring the mixture to the boil over a high heat.