This crumble topping differs from that of an apple crisp or apple cobbler. You can freeze before cooking (allow to defrost before baking) or freeze any cooked leftovers! https://www.saga.co.uk/.../desserts/traditional/easy-apple-crumble-recipe Half fill a large saucepan with water, and peel, core and chop the apples into 1-2cm chunks. I added the oats and some chopped walnuts. Rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs, then scrunch in the remaining sugar to add a little texture. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (180 if using fan-forced). Want a cookbook of our best dessert recipes? Very nice but next time I will use less sugar(15-20g) and less butter (15-20g) as 30g was too much resulting in me needing to add more flour to the recipe. This recipe for single-serving apple crumble is on my list of ’emergency recipes’. Per each cup of caster sugar that the recipe calls for, use one cup plus to tablespoons of regular sugar. https://www.delish.com/.../a21581233/easy-apple-crumble-recipe Sprinkle the crumble over the apple and place into the preheated oven. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Don’t worry, the wait will be worth it. I ended up having to bake it for 45 minutes, but that may be because I used one (larger) soup-crock-sized baking vessel instead of ramekins. Second night with this recipe, OMG! Serve warm and top with ice cream if you want (how can you not want?). I need to make double and a half of this and I don’t have ramekins. Bake for about 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. My Mum used to make Apple Crumble for me, and this is one of the best recipes I have come across, Thank you! You've added this item to your cart. To make the crumble, place the oats, brown sugar, plain flour and butter into a bowl. Choose the type of message you'd like to post, 150g plain flour (also works well with gluten-free flour). Yes absolutely! Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this apple crumble dessert is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and baking. Drain off the excess liquid. You can add a few ingredients if you want and it still tastes amazing! Press Turbo a few times until you have achieved a consistent crumble mixture (and all of the dry ingredients have been completely combined with the butter. Half fill a large saucepan with water, and peel, core and chop the apples into 1-2cm chunks. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl and mix. Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen. If you want, however, you can make the crumble beforehand, and cook it later. Use this as a basis for when I make crumble! Place the apples in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and optional cinnamon. Alternatively, make the crumble mixture in a food processor by placing all the topping ingredients into the processor and pulsing them until you get a coarse mixture. Reserve. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Only adjustments I’d make are to double the amount of apples (there seemed plenty of topping) and the apples started to disappear when cooked, and I used Demerara sugar instead of white sugar for the flavour. “The humblest crumble ever, I’m mixing this one up with eating apples as well as the classic Bramley. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (180 if using fan-forced). I doubled the quantity but used half butter and half coconut oil. I’ve been using this recipe several times already. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour and sugar until you have a very coarse mixture. If you are unable to find caster sugar you can make your own at home: Elaine Lemm is a renowned British food writer, classically trained chef, teacher, and author with over 25 years of experience writing about British food and cooking. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crunchy. I also appreciate having the variety of measurements in the recipe. Classically served warm with a side of custard, the crumble can also be served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Bring to a low simmer for 5-10 minutes or until just softened. This has been filed in my favourites folder! Pour this evenly on top of the stewed apple. Golden caster sugar is unrefined and tends to be more golden in color. It was flawless, even my husband who doesn’t have a sweet tooth at all loved it. If you're planning to cook it straight after preparing, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Drain all of the water from the saucepan, add another 2 tbsp of water and 50g of the sugar, and place on a medium heat on the hob. Hi Elizabeth, it’s best to put the crumble on just before cooking but a few hours should be ok. Add the water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. First, you need to prepare the apples. This recipe for single-serving apple crumble is on my list of ’emergency recipes’. Made it yesterday for the first time and will absolutely make it again and again and again! This is SUCH an easy homemade apple crumble recipe… quick, easy and no-fuss!. The apples will appear bubbling through from underneath. It’s super easy. Apple crumble is a traditional recipe here in the U.K. and you totally nailed it Just to still add for anyone who makes this recipe without the optional add-ins, you’ll have to add a bit extra flour, but no worries just a spoonful or two and it’ll look just right! Although crumbles come in many guises and can be both sweet and savory, apple is the most popular and one of the most quintessential British sweet treats that have been adopted in cuisines around the world. If you’re looking for some other emergency recipes, try my chocolate fondant, one-bowl brownies, or peanut butter fudge.