Feminists derided it for alleged sexism while others just found it incomprehensible and somewhat ridiculous. By signing up you are agreeing to our, Could Instagram Reels Replace TikTok? Never one to miss an opportunity, Ryan Reynolds has signed the actress who plays the Peloton wife up for his own Christmas commercial, to promote his Aviation Gin. “We can get you another one if you like,” one adds. #AviationGin pic.twitter.com/jYHW74h81l. Not only that, but the wife featured in it has been labeled the “Peloton wife” on social media. “People turned down a pretty dark path and it turned into a nasty thing,” the actor told “Good Morning America.” “My image is being associated with sexism, with the patriarchy, with abuse, with these words that I am seeing people write about me – that’s not who I am.”, “I currently sit here hoping that I’ll be able to continue auditioning for commercials without any taint, and that if my students happen to find the commercial and recognize me, they won’t think about me any different than they already know me,” he told Psychology Today. That’s not who I am.”. They brought back actress Monica Ruiz, who played the “Peloton wife”, and now have her placed in a bar with two friends. The ad spot for Ryan Reynold’s liquor brand, Aviation Gin, cast the same actress from the Peloton ad — in a sequel that tells the story of where the Peloton Woman is now. Earlier this week, the halls of social media lit up with controversy about the Peloton exercise bike, which seemed to stoke all kinds of mockery from various sections of society. Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. The new advertisement acts as … Staff authors are listed here. Vote Now, America Is Caught Between Crisis and Confusion, You can unsubscribe at any time. The friends quickly agree. Soon after the spot aired, actor and liquor brand owner Ryan Reynolds cashed in on the drama – and marketers everywhere scrambled to pick their jaws up off the floor. You can check out both ads down below! Her grim motivation that pushes her to drag herself out of bed combined with exclaiming at the camera how blatantly, inexplicably nervous the Peloton makes her paint a bleak portrait of a woman in the thrall of a machine designed to erode her spirit as it sculpts her quads. Your privacy means the world to us. ADVERTISEMENT. ‘The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It’ Official Title Of ‘The Conjuring 3’; Releases September 2020. It appears that she’s left her husband from the original customer and is now drinking to help move on. In fact, their shares have plummeted so badly, that Peloton is estimated to have lost around $900 million in market value. Aviation Gin’s new ad builds upon the original’s sense of the dread. Exercise bike not included. The conversation became so hot that the actor who played the husband lamented how his face somehow became synonymous with sexism. We share your personal information only when you give us explicit permission to do so, and confirm we have your permission each time. “Exercise bike not included,” Reynolds cheekily said in the caption while announcing the ad on Twitter. But the Aviation Gin ad has raked in praise from advertisers and consumers alike – not because it’s a new concept, but because it came with timely delivery and contextual relevance. The video was produced with a tight lead time – only 15 days elapsed between the Peloton ad and Aviation Gin’s commercial. What Aviation Gin did isn’t new. Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is a WWE legend and the biggest name in Hollywood today. This, coupled with the commercial’s cheeky release on social media, created the perfect recipe for a viral campaign that launched on the right platform, at just the right time. “It’s gonna be a fun night,” the friend says as the glass empties. and Samsung, which has been known to mock Apple product users. The ad’s success hinged on the brand’s ability to quickly produce a made-for-web commercial in nearly real-time. In a maneuver that combined timeliness, meme culture, and a simple product message, Aviation managed to capitalize on another brand’s moment of infamy with striking success. It’s definitely a smart move on Ryan Reynolds’ part, as the Peloton business is being infamously blasted across social media. Source: Aviation Gin. Source: Aviation Gin The actress from the infamous Peloton ad is back -- and she’s breaking the internet again. Ryan Reynolds — who owns Aviation Gin — attends the premiere of "Pokemon Detective Pikachu" at Military Island in Times Square on May 2, 2019 in New York City. #AviationGin pic.twitter.com/jYHW74h81l, — Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) December 7, 2019, Starting in extreme close-up, the 40-second ad begins with the Peloton Girl actress looking into the fourth-wall as if processing a great trauma as she stares down a glass of gin at a bar table. Do you think it was a clever move to make fun of the Peloton commercial? The new advertisement acts as a sort of “sequel” to the original Peloton ad. And the marketing stunt of the year award goes to … Ryan Reynolds. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our. As the ad ends her friend chimes in, “You look great by the way.”. The video, which shows a husband gifting his wife a Peloton exercise bike for Christmas, was criticized for appearing as sexist. Take a look: Exercise bike not included. “If recognized on the street, what will people’s first opinions be of me?”. After a commercial of a man gifting his wife a Peloton stationary bike for Christmas went viral for having cringe-y, Black Mirror-y undertones, actor Ryan Reynolds wanted to have the last laugh. Some of you may be familiar with the viral Peloton advertisement. “This gin is really smooth,” the apparent “Peloton Wife” finally says. Write to Madeleine Carlisle at madeleine.carlisle@time.com. Discover MarTech (Virtual): Available On-Demand. Sitting beside her are her dumbfounded but supportive friends, who both ponder on how best to console her seemingly mysterious anguish. Source:Supplied Hollywood star Ryan Reynolds loves playing pranks and trolling. Capitalizing off the fervor over the viral Peloton commercial in which a husband gives the exercise bike to his attractive wife for Christmas, a new commercial from the brand Aviation Gin (owned by actor Ryan Reynolds) featured the actress who has become known throughout the halls of social media as the “Peloton Girl.” Naturally, Twitter users couldn’t contain themselves, dragging the cringe-worthy campaign with labels like sexist, elitist, and entirely unrealistic. Now it looks like star Ryan Reynolds has made fun of Peloton with his own video featuring his Aviation Gin.