Be patient, took almost half an hour. This was my first time making flan and I expected it to be complicated but it was so much easier than it seems. It is a bit different than most I've had because of the reduced amounts of eggs. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until well-combined. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. To this day it was the best flan I’ve ever tried! It’s rich but not too heavy. Cut the Spanish flan into 6 pieces to serve. I took a pyrex measuring glass (the 2 cup capacity one) and added 1/2 c water , then I added the cup of sugar to that water and stirred. Maybe it was the wine, or just a desire to try one last time, but I chose the flan. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Divide the flan mixture evenly among the six ramekins, pouring right on top of the caramel. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until well-combined. 349 calories; protein 9.5g 19% DV; carbohydrates 56.7g 18% DV; fat 9.7g 15% DV; cholesterol 100.1mg 33% DV; sodium 138.7mg 6% DV. flip the ramekin over the plate. This is the one. This way, there is no gaps between swirling and pouring your flan mixture into the dish. The smaller ones might have a shorter cooking time so keep an eye on them while they’re in the oven. Also, personally 3 eggs is not enough for me.. It will melt again when baking. I ran out of foil so I placed another cookie sheet upside down on top of the flan. One thing I wanted to mention.... the caramel/syrup thing seems to give some people problems but it can be done very easily with this short cut I use ALL THE TIME! In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until creamy. With plain sugar you're more opt to burn it. It will take about 7-10 minutes at high power for the water/sugar mix to turn to caramel. Before serving, run a knife around the sides where the flan is touching the ramekins. I liked this flan. Popular in Spain, Mexico, South America and these days many other countries, this authentic Spanish flan recipe is a classic. BE CAREFUL! In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Try medium heat, med low is too low. Bake the flan in a water bath...it's not hard to do, and yields much better results. Like Us On Facebook For Exclusive Recipes. Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Bake in the oven for one hour, or until it wobbles and jiggles when you lightly shake the ramekin. It will do so!! I also put some vanilla in my sugar after it melted down. Cover with aluminum foil. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. When you pour the custard into the sugared pan, pour it through a sieve to strain the mixture (I would recommend this tactic with all custard type dishes). Traditional Spanish flan recipe Photo by CranberryWine en Pixabay In a large bowl add the 3 eggs, the I hope this helps, its truly not difficult with a little advice and a bit of practice. You'll need to keep a watchful eye on the sugar here, to stop it from burning. In a large bowl, beat eggs. I plan to keep using this recipe. Your email address will not be published. This recipe is as close to the real thing as I’ve ever got! I always use a water bath and do not cover with foil (or anything else). Info. Then for the flan, it is custom to give it a "baño de maria" or "water bath" by inserting your flan dish into a larger dish, and filling the larger dish with hot water that reaches about halfway of your flan dish. Cool completely. Gently lift off the baking dish and allow the syrup to run over the sides of the flan. 1. Now pour the egg mixture into the dish and cover it with foil. Set aside while you make the rest of the flan. It’s super simple (just four ingredients), and effortlessly delicious. Cover each ramekin with aluminum foil and tightly seal. The warmth is important here, since it will keep the ramekin warm when the sugar syrup goes in and stop it from hardening. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until creamy. You can serve it as it is or with some whipped cream. Delicious Spanish flan, everyone will love it! Homemade flan is well worth making, I hope you’ll try it! Last, bake this dish a day ahead of time. This was an awesome recipe! I like that it has less eggs and it takes little ingredients for the flan but it is missing a key ingredient for caramel. Australian by birth, he now spends his time learning everything he can about Spanish food, wine, culture and history. Do not stir the sugar while it's melting, just swirl in the pan occasionally. Required fields are marked *. To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool. I always have lemon juice on hand so I use that. Take it off the heat the moment it reaches the color you want and have your dish(es) ready because it will harden almost immediately. Stir in the evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla. Keep the heat low and keep it moving in the pan. I decided to use this recipe since it seemed easier than the rest. Then place in the fridge and chill for at least 4 hours. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Melt the sugar in a pan over a low-medium heat until it’s dissolved and golden. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. For first time flan makers: By no means an I a novice in the kitchen:(just never made caramel before) however, it took 3 tries and several phone calls before I got the caramel right. Have you tried my authentic Spanish flan recipe? Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. When you’re melting the sugar, you should be patient and keep the heat very low because otherwise the sugar may brown too fast and end up burnt. A warm pan will give you a little more time to tilt and coat the bottom before the sugar hardens. But trust me, the final result is worth the extra focus. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. I loved this recipe. If you notice that the syrup hardens when it gets on the pan, don't worry. First you make the caramel syrup by melting sugar, then combine eggs with two kinds of milk and some vanilla to make the custard mixture. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for approximately 60 minutes; the flan is ready when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serving suggestion - serve with a scoop of dulce de leche ice cream - you can't go wrong! If any of the caramel has hardened and stuck to the ramekin, just leave it! The recipes do not say that the sugar will go from syrupy to hard and rocky looking and that continued cooking and stirring will return it to the liquid caramel state you are striving for. I blended the ingredients in a blender, which eliminated the need to strain the egg mixture, and I used a water-bath to make sure it had a delicate texture. Yum! You can see all of the ingredients and steps below. Let it completely cool, then turn onto a dessert plate to serve. Today David shares his recipe for one of the easiest and most delicious Spanish desserts. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Keep the baking dish hot in the oven while you are making the flan, so when you do pour the caramel syrup (melted sugar) into it, it won’t harden too fast. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). After the flan had cooled completely (about an hour), we could eat it right away instead of torturing ourselves and waiting overnight. As for the flan mixture, blend everything in a blender (adding the condensed milk last because its thicker) for the most effective and fastest way of mixing. This is the recipe i've always used... but for what here in Mexico we call Chocoflan or Pastel Imposible (in southern mexico.. Flip over the … I use individual glass custard cups. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. This classic Spanish flan recipe is so simple it's almost criminal. The line between flan and baby food seemed pretty thin. And if you want to try a different Spanish dessert, check out this recipe for Gateau Basque from the Pais Vasco. So how do you make this Spanish flan recipe? Home / Blog / Authentic Spanish Flan Recipe. If there's some hard surgar left in the pan, who cares? Also, I kept the baking dish I was using over the oven vent to keep it warm, so the caramel didn't harden right away and was easy to spread. Take the ramekins out of the water-filled baking dish and set aside to cool to room temperature. I just hadn’t been eating the right flan. Yummo! An authentic Spanish flan recipe, or Mexican flan recipe, whichever you know it as, is simple to prepare. OK?? I add 5 (known people that add a lot more)... but the egg amount depends on YOUR density peference. It came out wobbly and jiggly on the plate, like some sort of beautiful custardy dream. The technique isn’t too hard, but it does take concentration and good timing to work with the sugar syrup before it hardens too much. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Then, I placed it in the microwave and VOILA!!! The caramel should run out to coat it as a sauce.