It’s easy to get bogged down and stuck in the weeds. real analysis), a proof writing class, etc. She is very good at visualizing complex problems and seeing patterns/relationships. I've always been involved with computation, as applied to science and engineering, so applied math is the bigger part of the skill set. Participate in discussions and get candid, authentic advice from the world’s largest college forum. Civil engineering appeals to me but I struggle with math. You made a class statement about all engineers when you should have been making a specific statement about metallurgical engineers who live in Toronto. Since the only careers one would usually go into with an undergraduate degree in math are not appealing at all, I would be very content spending my days as a software developer. She interned this past summer at an IB and her math background was very useful. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Engineers apply the knowledge of math & science to design and manufacture maintainable systems used to solve specific problems. In retrospect, I would say that I loved arithmetic and easier mathematics (algebra, trig, geometry to some extent, pre-calc, some calc). (Nota bene: this only works if you actually read the textbook). There are ten exams that one has to pass to become an actuary. A look at math major course requirements will also show differences based on whether abstract or applied math is desired. Why does Ray Bradbury use "flounder" for an action with a positive outcome? But functional approximation, PDEs, linear algebra etc. But in general, the more applied math you know the better. Program manager sarcastically lays the blame on me. What is the reasoning behind nighttime restrictions during pandemic. That is highly irresponsible considering that many young people read this board. as kids. -- CFD Online Discussion Forums Some may find getting a job easy, some will find it impossible and give up. Over time they can acquire enough hands-on experience to compensate for the lack of engineering coursework, and move directly into engineer roles. College Confidential. I'm just wondering wether it would make a difference. I know because my wife is doing that now. Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Game development wouldn't hurt my feelings but I hear that its a rough field to get into. I didn't like it and stated my objections, but testing showed it worked even though my models and theory proved it will be very unreliable in real-world operation. A new forum experience awaits you this November! My eldest son has a bachelor's degree in math from Harvard. The heart of the difference, I think, is that for engineers, mathematics is applied as a tool when it is needed, whereas for applied mathematicians, mathematics and the study of logical/mathematical structure is the essence of what they do (much as it is for pure mathematicians, but with an emphasis on some real-world inspiration, even if it becomes so far abstracted that the layman … Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers. Even if you do not care too much for software development or I.T., there are jobs out there so it is a good fallback plan. AskEngineers is a forum for questions about the technologies, standards, and processes used to design & build these systems, as well as for questions about the engineering profession and its many disciplines. The title was mostly intended to lure in folks for advise, I've always felt that engineers use math, but don't necessarily love math. I don't know the answer, but I will be watching this thread! The pay is supposed to be excellent, and the work is not as stressful as engineering. 10 tweet's 'hidden message'? I did consider doing a math degree in operations research but i didnt apply to it :S. Major was Metallurgical Engineering, now renamed Materials Science & Engineering where I graduated and dropped at several other universities. University of Georgia Honors vs Georgia Tech for an Engineering Major. Especially with all the iOS, Android, WP7 apps gaining popularity. has always been pretty foundational. If missing product dates would cost 100 due to contracts, consumer confidence, fees, or whatever, it doesn't make sense to risk that. Participate in discussions and get candid, authentic advice from the world’s largest college forum.