Wet your hands again and smooth the surface so there are no cracks, which can cause a loss of moisture. Besides the ingredients, the key to a great meatloaf recipe is cooking the meat to the right temperature. Great basic recipe. Tastes fantastic, This is the meatloaf my grandmother made - except for the basil. Served with CL's roasted cauliflower. The milk, egg, ketchup, and diced onion in the meat mixture are all working to keep the meatloaf moist and delicious. The way it mealted into the pan around the edges was to die for. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality American meatloaf recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Used different ingredients. Mix the meat, eggs and seasonings together in a bowl. Mix ground beef, quick oats, onion, milk, eggs, 1/4 cup ketchup, parsley, garlic, salt, basil, and black pepper together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined; pat the mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. I doubled the pepper because I love it. vinegar to 1 c. milk to make quick buttermilk. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. If you are looking for a striking, unique recipe for meatloaf, this isn't your answer. It even beat my moms and that is saying a lot. The only modification I made was to bake it on a sheet pan in a loaf shape - we like all the extra crunchiness that you get on the surface of the meatloaf… If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I searched a bunch of recipes and used this as my base to add on. Yum! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This was a great meatloaf recipe and it was even better with the Potato and Root Vegetable Mashers recipe! 23.7 g But if you are looking for a very nice meatloaf that everyone in the family will want seconds of, this is the one for you! I like to make into a sandwhich with melted cheese and toasted bread. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes over a medium heat until soft. Add to a food processor with the garlic, and pulse on and off until the vegetables are finely minced, but not quite a puree. Set a wire rack over an 11 x 17 baking pan. We usually do a turkey meatloaf, but we tried the recipe as is and my family truly loved it. It can be frozen ahead. I am not a meatloaf person but my husband is. Congrats! -  The cheese was the big hit. Process or crumble the bread and combine with the minced vegetables in a large bowl. Shred the cheese and put in mixture. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. The pureed vegetables also add a lot of moisture and flavor, as does the classic glaze.  -  The only modification I made was to bake it on a sheet pan in a loaf shape - we like all the extra crunchiness that you get on the surface of the meatloaf. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. I baked it the night before and then reheated straight from the fridge at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, which gave it the nice carmelized edges - it did not have those at the first baking. Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased baking dish or roasting tin and shape to make a loaf, measuring about 25 x 18cm, mounding it slightly in the centre. Knead until thoroughly combined. Bake 30 minutes, then sprinkle rosemary needles on top. Sometimes I like to prepare this meatloaf recipe ahead of time. I had no milk so I used sour cream instead. 19 Jun 2011. Process or crumble the bread and combine with the minced vegetables in a large bowl. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until thermometer registers 160°. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. The first was firm and I sliced it and froze in slices. Garnish the loaf with the onion rings. Add half to the meatloaf mixture and mix again. Add the breadcrumbs and mix until everything is just combined, and then stop. You saved All American Meatloaf to your. 1 ½ ounces French bread, torn into pieces, 5 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided, 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves). Turned out pretty well! I was craving comfort food, and based on the reviews, decided to give this a try. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes over a medium heat until … We usually do a turkey meatloaf, but we tried the recipe as is and my family truly loved it. DIRECTIONS. So toast bread crumbs, chopped onion and parsley, and beat eggs before you start combining. If you wish to freeze, bake as directed for one hour, remove from oven and cool. In the first cooking (1 hr 5 min) take 3-4 slices of bacon and lay them vertically on the meatloaf. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. I took another reviewers advice and made a mold instead of using a loaf pan. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. From a family who didn't love meatloaf--we are now converts! (If you have a meat thermometer, it should read 71°C when the loaf is cooked.) To reheat: unwrap meat loaf and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Very flavorful. Combine, but don't over mix. Mix the meat, eggs and seasonings together in a bowl. I agree with another poster about prepping ahead of time to make assembly easier. I used crackers for bread, 1% milk for buttermilk, and oregano for parsley. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Loved the addition of the cheese - so good. Privacy policy. This is a great meatloaf recipe just as it is. Bake meatloaf in the preheated oven until firm and no longer pink inside, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Add the beef, breadcrumbs and egg to the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and knead the mixture with your hands. I like a heartier flavor. Lingering garlic taste is great. Heat the oil and sauté the onion rings. I loved this version of an all American classic. -  Lightly grease the bottom of a shallow roasting pan with a few drops of olive oil. Brian Hagiwara / Photolibrary / Getty Images. Then procede with the recipe as it is. Arrange breadcrumbs in an even layer on a baking sheet. Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I added a tsp of Italian seasoning and ended up doubling the parsley as I didn't want leftovers I also added another clove of garlic. Continue baking for another 25 minutes. To make the topping, combine ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, :) Thanks Maridele:). I usually put it in a drain meatloaf pan to get extra fat out, but might try the mold way described previously. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. A good digital thermometer is the best tool for this procedure. It was sooo good! This is the only meatloaf recipe my family allows me to make still. Meatloaf is a weeknight classic. I love this recipe! Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Add meat mixture to the crumbs/veggie mixture. Everyone in my family loved this recipe. I didn't have 1kg of mince beef, so I replaced the 200g I was short on with some sausage meat. I'm surprised it hasn't already been posted yet. Wet your hands with cold water and form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape, about 6 inches wide, by about 3 to 4 inches high. Cut a 5 x 11 piece of parchment paper and place it on the rack. The email addresses you've entered will not be stored and will only be used to send this email. Very tasty, comfort food. Mix ground beef, quick oats, onion, milk, eggs, 1/4 cup ketchup, parsley, garlic, salt, basil, and black pepper together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined; pat the mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. I did substitute oats for the bread, so maybe that was it, but next time I would add italian seasoning or oregano to flavor it a bit. Cut the carrot, celery, onion, red bell pepper, and white mushrooms into 1-inch pieces. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. We'll definitely make this recipe again. Love the oats. I liked the idea of half meat/half sausage but didn't have sausage so added a pinch of fennel seeds and a dash of allspice to give it that flavor. Easy Meatloaf: This classic meatloaf is perfect for a busy weeknight meal because it can be prepared in minutes. Next time with a grated carrot and chopped green pepper maybe potato flakes in lieu of oatmeal and a well rounded meal in one pan. Info. I use a recipe similar to this one but I mix 1/2 cup ketchup with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp mustard mix half into the ground beef spread other half on top of the loaf. My kids loved it and so did i. Add to a food processor with the garlic, and pulse on and off until the Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. In a large bowl add the ground chuck, the vegetables, and all the remaining ingredients except the breadcrumbs. I thought it was awful as did my husband and kids. Great taste. Please try again. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. 75g fresh breadcrumbs (white or wholemeal). Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. 344 calories; protein 26.5g 53% DV; carbohydrates 12.3g 4% DV; fat 20.6g 32% DV; cholesterol 133.6mg 45% DV; sodium 595.4mg 24% DV. Yummy! Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. I don't consider myself to be a meatloaf person but this was fantastic! A popular family favourite, baked with a tomato sauce filling. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meat loaf should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). My kids loved it and so did i Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas 4). This version stays with the tried and true elements while adding vegetables for a healthier twist. I can tell you that this is very family friendly and will be made again in my kitchen! I think I would try again with ground chicken also. Do not over-mix! looks pretty good but I don't use cheese on mine.Top with a can of vegetarian soup and let it cook in.I also love olives so will add some green garlic stuffed olives also. Remove from oven, spread 2 tablespoons ketchup over loaf, and top with Cheddar cheese slices; return to oven and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 more minutes. I served it with a mixture of mashed yukon golds and sweet potatoes, and a side of steamed corn and peas. Second time added tablespoon of chili powder. We will definitely be making this again! Bake at 350° for 6 minutes or until lightly toasted; cool. Eh, I'm American and this isn't quite right, however finding the "real" recipe is like finding the holy grail. Just served with some mashed potatoes and a salad for a healthy version of this classic. Note: I omitted the veal and adjusted the amount of beef and pork to compensate--it was still great. One serving is a nice sized portion. Fantastic meat loaf! I did not use a loaf pan so I was able to peel the cheese from the pan which was crispy around the edges :-). Bad idea. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before slicing, using a sharp knife. Make a lengthways groove down the centre with the side of your hand and pour the remaining tomato mixture into the groove. We updated the classic recipe by adding ­cheddar cheese and tangy buttermilk. Looking for the best dinner recipes? Great recipe. This meatloaf was extra tasty.