I then tried the vinegar soak/rinse followed by the calamine lotion and finally hydrocortisone. It was just a little contact, but whatever!!! I’m lucky to have had it at home – as an avid hiker in northern CA it’s definitely an essential! . So, here I am on a wonderful ski vacation in Steamboat Springs, I decide to bake jalapenos with the cream cheese and bacon etc. Hope this helps someone who makes this mistake. I cannot believe I just did this, but my hands feel so much better. After we finished ALL of the peppers, I noticed I had a cut on the back of my hand. I too did the no gloves thing but with habenero peppers , the meaner older brother of Jalapeno. Soon we both noticed our hands were burning as well. We garden and have a bunch of tomatoes right now. It has finally subsided. 3 hours later, I’m not so happy. I am only typing this today as I could not last night for fear I would melt my computer keys. so be cautious during this time. I like you tried everything as well. Ice cold water feels good, but doesn’t make it go away! I first tried the lemon juice and then the hand sanitizer. Having a true onion allergy is rare. It’s ordered when a doctor suspects that you have an infection caused by the fungus…. The eye burn went away in 3 hours.. The contacts thing really, really, really sucks. The burning on her hands has gotten worse and worse. If it doesn’t get irritated then it’s probably gone. we’ll I was reading everyone’s stories about “THE BURN” of “Jalapenos”…and I cut them and took out the seeds like a champ, and then washed my hands and….THE BURN! i officially hate my “spicy bean salad” that required three deveined/deseeded jalapeno peppers with a passion. It worked for the backs of my hands, but the palms are still burning. Sweet hybridized varieties have been created with no "heat" although they retain the look and flavor of a jalapeño. in one hand!!!!! Who knows but either way that burns like true hell!!! I seriously recomend using gloves if you wear contact lenses. I did get some burn under my nails and on the hand I held the pepper with, so I sucked on my fingers until it burned my tongue. Never again will I chop a jalapeno without a glove x. The burning I felt lasted all through the night and created numbness in my right hand all the way up to my shoulder. This large outbreak of Salmonella led to increased research into the detection of foodborne illnesses on jalapeños, the frequency and behavior of foodborne illness on jalapeños, and ways to prevent foodborne illnesses on fresh jalapeños. However, inflammation may occur in any location of your body, including areas of your hands, face or throat. I don’t know if it’s the fact that is has been 24 hours since i chopped up serrano peppers or if this really did work, but i rubbed a cut piece of tomato all over my finger tips it seems to have worked. I was looking for a cure for a friend. It was actually developed back in the cold war and it is strong enough to remove radioactive residue from a nuclear fallout. Ok, another jalapeno chopping idiot here, looking for relief. And my mother’s loving piece of advice was “don’t take your contacts out with jalapeno hands or if you do make sure to have a new pair tomorrow because your contacts will burn.”. Hi, I found this website and tried the hand sanitizer. Be prepared – the hot water will hurt (even though it wasn’t super hot) but I was desperate and could feel relief after doing this 4-5 times. Stephanie I’m heading to the kitchen right now to try the lemon juice! And I knew not to touch my face blah blah and wash my hands afterwards….but didnt realize how fast the oils can get into your skin and pores. I had sore spots in my throat, my nose was running uncontrollably, and raw feeling allergy bumps had cropped up all around my cheeks and mouth. It seems that one of the variables here is whether the oil is on your skin or already into your skin. I am extremely tolerant of pain, so its only a minor distraction to me, but I figured I would check if there was some easy remedy and came across this blog.. Left it on all night (slept with hands folded neatly on chest on a towel) but oddly, when removed the flour in the morning (by soaking in warm water and then rubbing with washcloth), the pain returned. I also tried to put my lens in the next day thinking an over night soak would be enough, alas it was not, as again I was in excruciating pain. I have never felt suck pain in all my life. They do however go well with Corona. I am holding/drinking a cold beer which feels better, but is hardly a cure. For some reason not matter what, I think my mom knows a unknown cure. So to make a long story short… i got an itch down my booty crack and i scratched and my butthole was on FIRE. All the other remedies like milk,oil,yoghurt, ice water are only soothing for a few seconds. I’m really glad the Lord saved me from hell, but I’m even more glad that my sin, that was going to put me there, was done away with because of Jesus thought I was worth it, and He willingly went to the cross for me. I went over to my boyfriend’s house after eating some pizza and relaxing (cheese pizza that I put tomatoes, chunks of cheddar and hardboiled eggs on… surprisingly good actually) thinking I would chill with him and play some video games while eating some ice cream (yum), but we decide to get a head start on the party we are helping with tomorrow. I learned this after my entire face and eyes began to burn the next day when I wiped my face with a towel I had dried my hands on the day before and had been using gloves. Went through all the same food remedies all night long ftom 12 -4am—no relief. Besides, you can always go back to the hand sanitizer afterward LOL. The information here is sourced well and enriched with great visual photo and video illustrations. I get bad reactions to poison oak and it is the recommendation for body, hair, clothes, shoes, bike, whatever you had with you or on you if you go through it. But… I’ve heard that if you let your dog lick your hands for a minute or so, and let the dog saliva set for a minute. Jalapeños have similar microbial properties to tomatoes. This is more likely to occur if the onion is raw, or lightly cooked. That was at 6pm. DON’T resort to covering your hands with random household bullshit like milk, honey, bleach, baking soda, or stroking the stainless steel water faucet like a 13 year old boy who just figured out he could masturbate! i know that vinigar works on actual burns and sunburns like in mustard but not sure about this one. A HUGE label with gloves on it. Yum tastes great. I grow a garden and had pulled some ivy from growing on my tomato plant so I thought that must be it. Geesh! I am having a bit of luck with pouring rubbing alcohol into my hands an scrubbing it around and then using milk of magnesia. A quick search recommended wearing a wet bandana or mask. To try to end this saga, it’s just about midnight and I’m afraid I’m going to fall asleep in the bowl of cold water that my hands are submerged in. Thank you OXYCLEAN laundry spray!! If you will cut and de-seed your peppers under cold, running water, it helps to close up your pores and prevent the oils from absorbing into the skin. After a couple minutes of waiting, the fire was gone. Tecnu, a wash for poison oak, ivy and sumac, this really works. i wanted to try the vinigar but i dont have any. I tried everything for my lip and nostrils burning from the jalapeno I cut at 8am. The moment the hot milk hit my hands (after the initial scream of pain) it has stopped burning!!!! one day when i was cutting jalepenos for a big batch o’ salsa i had to postpone my prep work for a little jaunt to the loo. Thank you!! Cleaned out about 30 homegrown peppers, and was okay until about an hour or so after I was done. big day tomorrow with daughters grad party.. i’m going to try some of suggestions on the board. The tequila technique has outlasted all other attempts including flour, dish soap, butter, etc. I love the taste but sometimes can’t take the heat. She called two emergency rooms and even a number of “ask the nurse” hotlines. then i made the mistake of scratching my nether regions (we all do it) and got a burning sensation so bad down there that i was in tears. Texas toothpicks are jalapeños and onions shaved into straws, lightly breaded, and deep fried. Is there a cure? This situation might also require a doctor’s care. Pain left while washing off with water. The note about tea tree oil was excellent. I only cut up ONE jalapeno, which I’ve done many times before. Then tried vinegar, also brief relief. As long as I kept my hand submersed in cold milk, it was fine. Woke up with no burn and a wet duvet and matress – ice melts! Then tried the hotwater, soap and some face astringent and I’m feeling much better. I am going to buy kitchen gloves for everyone I know! I had to let the burning continue if I was going to get over it, the faster it burned, the faster I would feel better. I read all of these home remedies and did them all, milk, hand sanitizer, astringent, vinegar, washed with hot water & soap, aloe, alchohal, hair spray. It has now been 24 hours since my jalepeno hands started. Well obviously since I am sitting here typing on a jalapeno hands website you know where my story goes as well as the tremendous pain that my finger are currenlty experiencing. I vote for the soap and water..after the gloves of course. No help at all. The Guinness World Records for most jalapeños eaten in a minute is 16 by Alfredo Hernandes on 17 September 2006 at La Costeña Feel the Heat Challenge in Chicago, IL, USA. Yeah, I tried vinegar, baking soda, milk, honey, aloe, lavendar oil, paint thinner – and nothing worked – until my husband drove to the store and bought me some Maalox – I had to soak my hands in it for about an hour, but it worked. For sure I’ll have on gloves the next time. Ok I made it to post 53. What works really good is poison ivy treatments or creams. My boyfriend called  his Mom who then called her friend who is 90 & has all kinds of cures for many ails & she said SOAK IN VINEGAR DILUTED WITH WATER, I only had apple cider vinegar & IT WORKED. After I did it I washed my hands thoroughly with warm water and soap. started at five and here i am now 2 am and still in pain! That was about an hour and half ago that I did this and my fingers are still tingling. This is NUTS! If fresh chili peppers come in contact with the skin, eyes, lips or other membranes, irritation can occur; some people who are particularly sensitive wear latex or vinyl gloves while handling peppers, if irritation does occur washing the oils off with hot soapy water and applying vegetable oil to the skin may help. The idea is, after all, to neutralize the acid. Thanks for the posts! I slit the little beauties and proceeded to scoop out the seeds and membranes with my bare fingers, stuff and wrap them. 6. I didn’t feel any burning for hours afterwards. Lidocaine cream helped. My question: has anyone investigated if this is an internal reaction vs a topical external one? If it comes back I will repeat this. 1.Hot water – hot as you can take rinse to open pores. . oil-reducing soap is good I guess. my fingers are hurting still so i think i will go soak them again in hopes that the stinging will go away soon.\. Thanks for all your tips. Didn’t work but I think I’ll keep doing it coz it smells good. so out of curiosity i sprayed my right hand with the same hairspray (“proffessional” hairspray aerosol it’s what was on sale at wal-mart at the time). I decided to make my delicious guacamole last night.