Popular stores include Yodobashi Camera, Sofmap, Laox, and the Akihabara Crossfield business complex.

If you've got a specific purchase in mind, such as a new camera lens or notebook computer, then this is a good place to browse. Hi SUG ravi! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Akihabara wasn't wall-to-wall Godzilla and Astro Boy.

I hope these directions help other people find a few of Akihabara's highlights.

Adam Turner travelled to Tokyo Game Show as a guest of Sony. I'll try to give a few directions here to help out, as it can be difficult to find some stores even if you're standing near them. Much of this station is above ground and the extra light makes it much more open and easy to navigate.

You'll find Takarada Musen on the next corner, across the side street. The district’s main street, the Chuo Dori, is closed to vehicles on Sundays to allow for increased pedestrian traffic. We are going to Tokyo this coming May 2018 and one of our iterinary is Mount Fuji, also plan to purchase JR pass. If you're standing in front of K-Books, look across the road and you'll see a laneway slightly to your left.

Tsukumo has a range of robots set up for you to play with, from robotic arms to full mechanoids. Apply here: Slouching Too Much?

Take the hassle out of travelling around on busy trains by popping on a bus that does the hard work for you. Click here to know more. The two even meet in mash-up Disney figures designed to look like Star Wars characters. Walking down from K-Books you'll see a few stores with Tsukumo signs. The Tokyo Metro Skytree Line to Minami-Kurihashi and Kuki. For western audiences it was portrayed as a retelling of Jason and the Argonauts, but in Japan it was known as Space Battleship Yamato. It's a dark building with Pacman and Mario on the front up high, but they're hard to spot from street level. Cure Maid Cafe, Jisto Akiba 6F, 3-15-5 Sotokanda, ☎ +81 3-3258-3161, . From Yodobashi Akihabara head east until you reach the north/south train bridge, but turn right (south) before you walk underneath the bridge. If you're after games for these old consoles and others then you'll be in heaven. The modern Akihabara Station has a long history. It's not just Akihabara, it seems to be a common theme across Tokyo.

Even at the touristy places there's not a lot of tat overtly aimed at foreigners. Of course these days Japan's consumer electronics dominance has been challenged by the likes of South Korea and China, but Akihabara has also grown into the spiritual home of Japan's Otaku culture of manga and anime.

Of course you'll encounter the mandatory western fast food chains in Tokyo's popular areas, but look around the corner and you'll often find something genuinely Japanese which is truly amazing.

Akiba was the god of fire, and Akihabara means “autumn leaf field.”.

Some of my favourite memories of Tokyo are the places I discovered by just wandering around, from eating at that little sushi place near Shibuya crossing to drinking in an alleyway bar in Shinjuku's Kabukicho red-light district – a place I'd struggle to find again even in the light of day with a clear head.

Check the next section for more information on this exciting area! Back then I would have walked out of there with bags and bags of shopping that I could have never bought in Australia, but to be honest I didn't see any electronics that I really needed to buy right there and then.

... Akihabara’s enormous Mandarake building is sure to have what you need. Please advise which train and/or transport we are using to get to Mount Fuji by using JR Pass and how many hours from Tokyo? It was originally opened in 1890, then used for hauling freight. Don't be fooled by the big Tsukumo building on the main strip near Retro Game Camp, you're actually looking for the small Tsukumo near Super Potato. It turned out to be a good time to visit, because as evening fell I saw the transformation as the lights came on and the people came out. Stop off at Akihabara as well as Meiji Shrine, the Imperial Palace East Garden, Asakusa Kannon Temple and even take a cruise down Sumida River. The following lines are not covered using the JR Pass: Akihabara station is uniquely shaped like an “X.” The Chuo-Sobu Line runs east to west, while the Yamanote and Keihin Tohoku Lines run north to south.