After all, v.42 firmware was released over two years ago, so is it 'secure'? I downgraded to 1.0.9.42 version and during the 4 hours left that I was at work (I tried to squeeze the downgrade during my lunch), I haven't experienced any drops in the 5GHz connection.

From gaming to streaming to IoT devices, demands on your home WiFi network are multiplying. To change the wireless channel on your router: First, move your extender closer to your router.

Solved: How do I turn off 5G on my AC1900 r7000 router?

In my past experience, Linksys killed my router with a firmware upgrade (and there were no open source options).

I unplugge the router from behind the unit, left unplugged for approx. Then again, if the router doesn't work, you are secure.

I'm in the UK and I'm having no problems whatsoever. Did you make a note of what firmware you were on before you upgraded to the latest firmware? Use the internet Setup wizard in the GUI to detect your internet connection. Due to COVID-19 we are still experiencing unusually high call volume. It may be that rolling back to an old firmware version will have negligible effect when it comes to security. Re: 5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. @rpzky8  It goes without saying though, if anyone is going to follow the seemingly standard 'advice' of rolling back to a 2+year old firmware with all of the security issues v.42 might be exposed to, ensure you are at least utilising decent daily updated anti-virus/malware software, an up to date privacy focussed browser and perhaps a good VPN provider. Due to COVID-19 we are still experiencing unusually high call volume. We are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure that the best possible service is provided to our customers. I need to know what is the purpose of the 5G mode on these newer routers. So because seemingly so many R7000 AC1900 users are experiencing functionality issues after updating to the latest firmware, the only resolution it appears, is to downgrade again or do what others have claimed, buy a different brand of router. Why have two bands? This is in the top left corner (Navigation Pane). I was almost led into thinking that something went wrong with my hardware, when the culprit all along is the firmware. We are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure that the best possible service is provided to our customers. @ArtD3  I can't fault you. The NETGEAR AC1750 Smart WiFi 5 Router with external antennas delivers extremely fast WiFi. Yes, there is a risk, but I bet there a plenty of higher value targets than watching what games my kids play and what I stream. @plemansI will definitely try installing it after work and post here some results. Yes, out of the box (ordered directly from Netgear) with v.88, failed on 5g within 30 minutes of install. Whether you’re constantly on the move or looking for an alternative to in … I don't know the date of manufacture of my device, but it was purchased on 2015-01-31.

I bought mine in Dec 2019 and have been having this issue since 2 weeks ago. After reading many posts and replies I decided to revent back to 1.0.9.42 version.

What is it supposed to do that the 2.4G does not? Ah well, got it now.

Netgear folks are you able to share any progress on providing a fix for this very important issue that is impacting work and people's livelihood or should I just resign to that this product is not worth the time and go buy something else? 5G Stopped appearing on my devices as an available network. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type.

In order to find out that information, you have to raise a support ticket and ask and this is best done in the first 90 days of purchase whilst the support is complimentary. I don't doubt there is a problem somewhere, but it clearly isn't affecting every single R7000 AC1900 owner, so how Netgear are going to resolve an issue that doesn't affect everyone, is going to be interesting. During the course of my 9-10 hour shift, the connection drops around 5-7 times only for the 5Ghz, and needs about 1-5 minutes to get back up.

Just for testing purposes, I connected my iPad next to the router, and when I encounter a connection drop, I check my iPad and it's also disconnected. I'm starting to feel guilty that there's nothing wrong with mine using the very latest firmware. Fixed Wireless Options — Bring revolutionary 5G connection to your home or office using the Gigabit Ethernet Port.

If you need more help?

For myself, I have to be honest, my own R7000 router is proving to be a good purchase for me. Go to Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings and uncheck the 5G checkbox then hit Apply.