New shoes/clothing cost me plenty. 110 minutes / 52 = ~2minutes per lap. If you're using the repeats to help increase your speed, run the repeats as fast as you can while being able to complete the full workout. A full photo album from this workout can be viewed on. Aim to complete 400 meters at a pace that’s about 90 – 120 seconds faster Many people become distance runners to escape this harsh reality. If you still have more to give after 6, increase the pace a little next time. Marathon training is usually associated with long runs and high mileage – and for good reason. When the interval is shorter than a mile, it may take a bit of math to calculate your pace based on your interval time. The bad news is that even in distance running, speed kills. The good news is the speed that is needed can be developed. . These short, 400 meter intervals are a great way to practice increasing your turnover and being in complete control of your speed. Everyone has heard the old adage, "speed kills . If you're using the repeats to help increase your speed, run the repeats as fast as you can while being able to complete the full workout. He says to run them at your 5k pace, but here's the thing: I've never run a 5k, nor have I run a half-marathon so I don't know what my time should be. Store Hours:MON-FRI 10:00-7:00SAT 10:00-6:00. Yasso 800s are a staple in many marathon training plans, and have been for years. While the concept might be simple, the 800 meter interval is just enough to really test your ability to hold on when you are running paces that are much faster than usual. Marathon workouts often involve these four elements: 400s, 800s, mile repeats and tempo runs. Get Daniel's Running Formula, v2: http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-2nd-Jack/dp/0736054928/ref=dp_ob_title_bk. I'm doing Hal Higdon's training program and every other week there are 400m repeats. This simple pyramid workout is a great way to mix things up both mentally and physically. I always judged my pace in a race by my splits at the mile, so running mile repeats for an interval workout always helped me understand what I was capable of. My goal for the half is a 1:50. I'm scheduled to run them tonight and will try to slow down to 105. This marathon speed workout really tests your mental endurance, as you’re forced to build back up again after completing the first half. So 13 miles = 52 x 400m. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Training to complete this challenging distance requires a really solid running base with plenty of training runs and fueling practice. Is the idea to use them to get faster, or to learn pace? Your 800 meter intervals can be completed at an 8:30 – 9:00 minute pace, Any guidance would be appreciated. Cut the last 4 intervals. For one, the overall distance of the training run is usually longer during marathon training, requiring a lengthy warm up and cool down. Adding a few simple mile repeats to a regular week day run is a great way to incorporate some marathon speed workouts into your training. If you can't do 6 in that pace, do them a little slower next time. Each interval should be completed at a different pace, running faster the shorter the distance. Last week I ran 7x400 at around 90 seconds with about 75 seconds rest, but I don't know if that was too fast and won't help me prepare for the half marathon. Try to do 6x1000m in about 4:20-4:30 with 200m very slow jog in between (takes a little over 60sec.) BUT...don't train for where you want to be, train for where you are now! Variation: 12-14X400 at 5k pace with 1 to 1 rest. Example: For someone who's Half-Marathon pace is 7:20 (1:35:20 for Half-Marathon) and 10K pace is 6:40/mile (41:40 10K.) In the beginning of training, you’ll want to start off with less repetitions and gradually work your way up to ten 400 meter repeats by the last few weeks of training. thrown into longer runs to increase your turnover for a certain amount of time, 110 minutes / 52 = ~2minutes per lap. completing 400 meters in 2:00 – 2:08. The interval distance gradually increases to a mile before decreasing back to just 400 meters during this workout. And while distance training should be the priority (especially for first time marathoners), strategically throwing in a few marathon speed workouts will help your body prepare for the stress of race day. For example if your average time for ten 800s is 3:57, this translates to a predicted finish time of 3 hours and 57 minutes. These mile repeats are a great way to push your body outside of its The challenge of increasing your mileage, hitting new distances and staying healthy through it all requires more than just a physical effort. this variation is geared more toward the 5k runner. - To calculate splits, do 1 or 2, then click calculate splits. want to complete at least a mile warm up before beginning your mile repeats. Training for a marathon is one of the most rewarding experiences, whether or not you accomplish your goals. But if you can do 90s with only 75s rest, then that's not ridiculously fast for you, and still beneficial. Whether you include one or all of these workouts into your marathon training plan, your body and mind will be better for it. But with so much emphasis placed on mileage, it’s easy to overlook another important element of marathon training: speed workouts. Pace Chart for 400 Meters to Marathon Use this chart to figure out your pace for intervals, tempo runs or races. 400m 600m 800m 1000m 1200m 1600m 3K 5K 8K 5 Mi 10K 15K 10 Mi 20K ½ Marathon Marathon 56 84 1:52 2:20 2:48 3:44 58 87 1:56 2:25 2:54 3:52 For a half marathon goal of 1:50, that's roughly comparable to a 24min 5k, so 400m in 115s. 10 Ways to Overcome the Wall in a Marathon, The 3 Best Running Workouts to Increase Your Speed, Running Hill Training: Why, How and 3 Workout Ideas, The Ultimate 400 Meter Interval Running Workout, Ice Bath Recovery Basics for Runners | Runnin’ for Sweets, How to Use Yasso 800s in Running Speed Workouts | Runnin’ for Sweets, How Many Miles to Run a Week: Finding Your Optimal Running Mileage, How Running Lower Mileage Will Make Running Feel Easier, How to Measure VO2 Max and Improve Your Running | Runnin’ for Sweets, How Many Miles to Run a Week: Your Optimal Running Mileage, I Quit Sugar for 40 Days | My Foolproof Plan to Give Up Sugar, 7 Running Mistakes: The Worst Things to Do During a Long Run, Running Base Building: Printable 12 Week Base Training Plan. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Complete these tempo miles consecutively, in the middle of a long run. Mile repeats are, have been, and will always be a tried-and-true addition to most training plans for races of every distance. comfort zone and really test its ability to hold on when things get tough. those who don't have it." intervals can be completed at an 8:00 – 8:30 minute pace, which translates to Last week, I hit the track with Carlos for 20X400 in around 63 seconds (4:12/mile pace.) Regardless of your goals for the marathon, incorporating speed workouts and intervals into your training plan will help improve your overall fitness, stamina and mental endurance – all of which are key for success during the marathon. Maybe compromise and aim for around 105s. If you're using the repeats to learn pacing, then run at your planned race pace. These tempo miles should be completed at a pace that’s about 45 seconds faster than your goal pace, which will feel unusually fast compared to the slow, easy pace of your long runs. Select from Samples and enter time or pace, or 2. Throw them in on long runs every other week or every few weeks to test your turnover and pickup when you’re fatigued. Join thousands of other runners in receiving biweekly running tips, workouts and free downloads! Why bother even doing repeats if I'm going to be running so much slower than my goal pace? Each 400 meter interval is followed by a 400 meter recovery interval, and continues to alternate throughout the workout. Calculates and displays splits. Start of simple with 4 x 400s and increase the number of repetitions every few weeks as your stamina increases. Throwing in a few marathon speed workouts throughout training is an excellent way to test your mental strength, improve your fitness, and prepare your body for the physical strain of race day. before returning to your regular pace. Mile Repeats. Incorporating simple intervals and workouts throughout training will provide a much-needed mental boost, knowing that you have completed paces far faster than your goal pace. than your goal pace, and 1 mile about 60 seconds faster than your goal pace. Enter total distance, either time or pace, and split frequency. Example: The 18:45 5k runner would run these, Variation: 14-16X400 at 10K pace with 1 to 1 rest, cut the rest down 5%-10% for the last 4 interval, Example: For someone who's 10k pace is 6:40/mile (41:40 10K.) Adding a few simple mile repeats to a regular week day run is a great way to incorporate some marathon speed workouts into your training. Mile repeats provide benefits during every stage of your training. Begin with just 2 or 3 tempo miles near the beginning of training, and build up to about 6 tempo miles as you near the end. The short answer is to run them around 1:55 per 400, based on your intended half pacing. Running Splits Calculator. You may be surprised to find that during marathon training, you are running at your goal pace very infrequently. yourself to complete each mile repeat about 60 seconds faster than your goal Everyone has heard the old adage, "speed kills . That seems incredibly slow, though. Your 400 meter Challenge Regardless of whether you’re training for a marathon simply to complete the distance or to set a new PR, these speed workouts are essential for any runner. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. pace for race day. Receive weekly workouts, running tips and fitness motivation right to your inbox! than your goal pace, 800 meters at a pace that’s about 60 – 90 seconds faster Simply complete 10 x 800s and take the average time of completion for each 800 to determine your marathon finish time.