Stereogum’s other genre-centric year-end lists have focused on albums, but the single has always been pop’s predominant form. It's certainly Drake at his most unabashedly cheesy.

It makes total sense, too, as the song takes Cardi B's no-fucks-given approach to life that made her an Instagram and reality star.

In total, nineteen acts topped the chart as either lead or featured artists, with twelve—Daft Punk, Migos, Lil Uzi Vert, Ed Sheeran, DJ Khaled, Quavo (as a solo act), Chance the Rapper, Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Cardi B, Post Malone, and 21 Savage—achieving their first Hot 100 number-one single. Fortunately, anything Ocean touches is instantly gold, and here, even when he half-asses his vocals, he turns Harris' tropical disco beat into an absolute delight. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. It's clear that something as simple as an arbitrary term for a collection of music can be freeing for an artist of Drake's stature. Remarkably, it’s her first chart-topping single since 2008’s “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It).”, “Rockstar” is at #2, which bumps Camila Cabello and Young Thug’s “Havana” down to #3.

After Sam Smith’s The Thrill Of It All at #7 and Michael Bublé’s Christmas at #8 comes the #9 debut of Miguel’s War & Leisure on the strength of 40,000 units. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 With 'Bodak Yellow', Post Malone Debuts at No. Lucky for you, that’s what I like! Still, “Passionfruit” stayed with me, its heartbeat pulse and weeping synths and gently cooed melodies adding up to a recurring soft-rock dream I was always happy to relive. A Popcan song can survive in any market in the world, which has become the key to success in this modern music ecosystem defined by streaming numbers.

This is the same sort of dazed, melancholy trap-pop that has made Post Malone one of the biggest stars in music, except executed with a vivacious flair Post rarely demonstrates on the mic. This Is Joe Biden When No One Is Watching, How to Survive the Next Few Weeks With Grace, A Good Mohair Sweater Is an Essential This Fall.

It’s not meant to be a comprehensive portrait of pop music in 2017.

The sizzling, swaying “Havana” was a winner even before it got an instant-classic music video.

Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber were the only acts to have multiple number ones, with both gaining two.

To be stuck forever thinking about boys means picturing Riz Ahmed with a teddy bear or Mac DeMarco licking a guitar. The most important stories and least important memes, every Friday.

For all its Fleetwood Mac-appropriate relationship drama, Haim's return after the breakout success of Days Are Gone is anything but a mood-ruiner.

And there is a sentimental case for recognizing a Spanish-language success story at a time when our current administration seems set on antagonizing that population. That, and she avoids cliches both musically and thematically, crafting pop music that’s neither obnoxiously bubbly nor overtly somber. I haven’t been this bowled over by wistfulness since the final scene of La La Land, which marks me as many things: a basic white person, a hopeless romantic, a romanticizer of my own life story, and a Lorde fan for life. [, A Garth Brooks fan suffered facial injuries after a pole fell on her at the country star’s Nashville concert. Instead of emojis, I need a string of visualized video game sounds to express my appreciation for Charli XCX’s ode to daydreaming about dudes. It’s practically impossible to follow the narrative on Halsey’s Hopeless Fountain Kingdom, but for three and a half minutes I’m entirely swept up in the world she’s created and emotionally invested in its protagonist.

Deflect the question back toward Ocean and the answer is still a profound, resounding no. [, In a Nardwuar interview Post Malone says “White Iverson” is still his only “good song.” [, That didn’t stop Post Malone from dropping a “Rockstar” Latin remix featuring Nicky Jam and Ozuna. Even if the best pop songs feel natural, as if an entire impeccable production just materialized out of nothing, sometimes trying extremely hard gets you somewhere too. A billion views and counting on this Latin pop posse cut extraordinaire, and it’s easy to see why. And that's a pretty concise life lesson. The Billboard Hot 100 is a chart that ranks the best-performing songs in the United States.

It even acts as a pretty good guide to heartbreak and breakup, with lyrics on "New Rules" like "If you’re under him / You ain’t getting over him." 1", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number_ones_of_2017&oldid=988290161, Lists of Billboard Hot 100 number-one songs, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 12 November 2020, at 07:46. G-Eazy, A$AP Rocky, and Cardi B’s “No Limit” climbs to a new #7 peak, while Halsey scores her first top-10 hit as a lead artist with “Bad At Love” up to #8. It's hard to separate the video for Charli XCX's "Boys" from the song itself. My 5 y.o son just now: Will you play me the song "Call Me Maybe"? On the same day Cabello released “Havana” she shared “OMG,” a trap-pop behemoth that should have become just as big a hit. Which is all to say: I did not see “Slide” coming at all.

... 'Sign of the Times' came from 'This isn't the first time we've been in a hard time, and it's not going to be the last time.'" Popcan has quietly contributed to the last three years of songs of the summer. In a year when Latin pop broke through to an English-speaking audience for the first time in a while, one of the English-speaking pop universe’s rising stars scored her signature hit by leaning hard into her Cuban heritage. Harris makes big, dumb, fun music that's either just big, dumb, and fun or just a sappy breakup track about Taylor Swift. Any song off 2016’s joyous and immaculate 24K Magic would be a lock for this list if it had much of an imprint in 2017. It takes a powerful debut song to knock the Queen of Pop, Taylor Swift, off the top of the pop charts. And that's because Lipa's mournful but upbeat pop music has arrived at the perfect time, when it feels like there's not much to be overtly happy about. According to Billboard, that ties them with Kenny Chesney and Madonna for the sixth most #1 albums among all artists. But on the other hand, it's so goddamn surreal and creepy. That bumps Swift’s Reputation down to #3 with 112,000 units, which in many weeks would be good enough for #1.

(She of course was featured on the Chainsmokers’ 12-week #1 behemoth “Closer” last year.).